Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern on path not accepting user parameters

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1170 Views, 11 Replies

Pattern on path not accepting user parameters

I have been trying to create a pattern of bodies along a path and have it driven by user parameters. But it highlights the parameter in red and will not accept it. I have tried typing in the same number manually and it works just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry that this got posted twice. I clicked "Post" and it came up with an error so I put in a couple tags and it accepted it and then I saw that it was posted twice. If there is a way I can delete it please let me know.

Message 3 of 12
cokopp

Hello,

I used pattern on path with user parameters lately and didn't had any problem.

I start typing the parameter name, the "pop-up menu" appea and show me the parameter(s) ... i click one or finish typing the full name.

It indeed show in red for a little while but then switch to black and let me validate it (or maybe you have to hit the space key after the parameter name, i'm not sure anymore)

not really sure it helps, 

but that is how it works for me.

cheers !

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: cokopp

Thats what I tried. I let it sit for 30 seconds and it didn't turn black. Thanks for the response though!

Message 5 of 12
HughesTooling

This sounds link units mismatch, if your parameter is unitless you will have to multiply it by 1mm or 1In, if the parameter is a length like 10mm and you want to use it as a count you'll have to divivde by 1mm something like Lenght / 1mm to make it unitless.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12

good catch, @HughesTooling, I suspect that is the problem.  The issue is that the distance along a path is a length, which requires a length unit, and the count is unitless, which requires it not be a length.  So either multiplying by a length or dividing by a length should fix the problem.  If you can provide a screencast of what you are seeing, including your current parameter dialog, we can verify this.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

That was a great catch! That's exactly what was happening and makes so much sense now. Thank you for your help!

Message 8 of 12
jeffwPP4JQ

Well, that is not what is happening for me. My count in the Fx parameters dialog shows as unitless and the parameter I am using as the distance shows as "mm" unit. Yet, both of these show up red and stay red when typed into a pattern.

Even when I start typing the parameter name in the Quantity and Distance boxes the suggestions show as the expected units.

I'm getting red on parameters for patterns and it has nothing to do with mismatched units. They compute correctly and do not show up as red in the parameters. If I fake different parameters and use integers instead of equations in the parameters it works fine.

It appears to me that you can't use parameters that are based on equations. Two pictures for "proof".

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 12
jeffwPP4JQ
in reply to: jeffwPP4JQ

Additionally... It seems you can't reference any driven dimensions in anything that the pattern uses. 

Message 10 of 12
jeffwPP4JQ

More proof...

If I reference a non-driven dimension everything is fine...

If I reference a driven dimension, it doesn't work in a pattern.

Message 11 of 12
jhackney1972

Just to clarify, Driven Dimensions cannot be used for any parameter outside the "sketch" they are a part of.  It has nothing to do with patterns or any other command.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 12 of 12
jeffwPP4JQ
in reply to: jhackney1972

Oh... that's just incredibly stupid. I'll just add that little "rule" to the huge bag of dumb implementation quirks Fusion 360 forces you to work around.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report