Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Path along tube?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jflegert
424 Views, 7 Replies

Path along tube?

So I have a tube, and I would like to make a slot that goes up 1/2 inch, does a 360 around the tube ending 1/2 inch from the other end, and continue the slot straight up.  I think I can use a path to cut the slot, but I don't know how to curve the path around the tube.  So, How can I curve a line/path around a surface?  Attached is the tube.

Thank you for the help.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
davebYYPCU
in reply to: jflegert

For the coil Path, use a one turn Sweep, (with twist) in the surface area.

extend the ends with Extrude.

Might help....

Message 3 of 8

@t_lamourine 

Click the Report and request that the moderator delete the reply. 

Message 4 of 8
jhackney1972

You did not mention the width of the slot.  Here is your tube with a 1/8" slot.  If you need further help, please let me know.  The only tricky part is the manipulation of the timeline during the process that I used.  I am sure that there are others.  Model is attached.

Tube Cut.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 8
jflegert
in reply to: jhackney1972

Edit: This is in reply to jhackney72. sorry, I'm still learning the forum tools.

Thank you for help.

I believe I can work with this.  I'm trying to change some of the parameters, and I need to think about it (the sweep "distance" has no units, which threw me at first).

Message 6 of 8
jhackney1972

If my Forum post solved your question, please select the "Accept Solution" icon to do three things. First it allows others to find a solution to a similar question, two, it closes the Forum post and last, it acknowledges that you accept the solution given. If you need further help, please ask.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 7 of 8
jflegert

I was thinking about it a little more, and attached is an alternative solution.  I had a little trouble thinking about how I would parameterize the other solution.  The attached probably isn't 100% correct (getting rid of the spur on the bottom was funky).  I also added some fillets to pretty it up.

Again, thank you for the other solution; I learned some new tools and a different way to think about things: some new tools for the toolbox.

Message 8 of 8
jhackney1972

You method is great but do note that the slot, being cut varies in its relationship to the tube surface.  The one I supplies creates a groove that would be used by a cam follower.  Yours creates a perpendicular cut to the tube surface.  It depends on what you need and want.  If is decorative, then yours works great, if it is functional, mine would be a better choice.  Section Cuts of each below.

Section Cut 2.jpgSection Cut 1.jpg

John Hackney
Retired

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report