Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch & issues to make smooth transition

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
hansvaneven
915 Views, 19 Replies

Patch & issues to make smooth transition

Hello,

I'm trying to work on a carved surface (guitar top in this case) and have watched a lot of tutorials and tried a lot of options 'but finally went for the patch solution like used in many car tutorials. Now this works nice, but the issue I have is that I don't seem to be able to stitch the patches together into a nice and smooth surface, is there something I can do or maybe I'm not using the right tool ? I also tried the loft option, this worked better for small part but for the complete guitar surface gives other issues so I'd love to use the patch mode which works nice in the car tutorials I see but not on my model, why ? Thanks a bunch in advance for your help

Tags (2)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
mango.freund
in reply to: hansvaneven

hi @hansvaneven we need your work as f3d file here.          greetings mango

Message 3 of 20
hansvaneven
in reply to: mango.freund

Hello mango, thanks here you go 

thanks a lot, greetings Hans

Message 4 of 20
mango.freund

hi @hansvaneven take a look. greetings mango

Unbenannt.PNG

Message 5 of 20
g-andresen

Hi,

Simply create the 2nd and 3rd loft with the previous surface profile instead of the sketch profile and make it tangent or curved.

Sccreencast

guitar.png

günther

Message 6 of 20
hansvaneven
in reply to: mango.freund

Super, thanks a lot mango, so you rather use lofts instead of patch, the confusing part for me seems to be to use profiles and rails correctly., Analysis seems better but in render view I still can see the lines between each surface is this something we can avoid ? thanks again, greetings 

Message 7 of 20
hansvaneven
in reply to: g-andresen

Thanks guenther

Indeed this seems to be the solution I'm looking for, I'll try to continue and see if I can manage to finish the whole surface this way, thanks a bunch for your help! 👍 greetings

Message 8 of 20
hansvaneven

This tangent/curvature option seems really to be what I was missing since, really thank you and also Mango for your help  👍

Message 9 of 20
hansvaneven

Hello guenther, curvature seems to be the smoothest option but in some cases it doesn't seem to work or it comes with an error, do you know why curvature doesn't always work ? If I take tangent (g1) as option I can still see the stich in the final render if if analysis shows a smooth transition. thanks 

Message 10 of 20
g-andresen

Hi,

@hansvaneven  schrieb:

do you know why curvature doesn't always work ?

As I know it depends on your profiles and rails.

But I think @TrippyLighting  can explain it better.

günther

Message 11 of 20
hansvaneven

Thanks, do you know if there are any tutorials on these spline/loft options ? thanks again, greetings

Message 12 of 20

I had typed a longer response but the forum software effectively killed it.

You should not have used 3D sketches. Your model is symmetric across the center line but the centerline does not coincide with the respective origin plane. Your sketches have completely arbitrary dimensions and I doubt a real guitar would be that small 😉

The constraints you use between curves should be matched by similar setting in the loft dialogues. For the center line symmetry only tangency is needed to be curvature continuous.

Constraints in curves and sketches alone don't guarantee tangency or continuity across the entire lofted surface boundary and need to be matched with the respective settings in the loft dialogue. That only works when you loft between surface edges, not spline profiles.

TrippyLighting_0-1624554920590.png

TrippyLighting_1-1624554958595.png

TrippyLighting_2-1624554997162.png

The area circled in red could use some more TLC.

EESignature

Message 13 of 20
g-andresen

Hi,

@hansvaneven  schrieb:

Thanks, do you know if there are any tutorials on these spline/loft options ? thanks again, greetings

Here is a tutorial by @TrippyLighting and some others here

günther

Message 14 of 20

Thanks a lot  for your help and time and sorry to hear you lost a long message.

Yes of course the dimensions aren't real, I was just testing out a few techniques to see what works best for carved tops like this. The real guitar is more like this one (esp guitar) so once I have the right technique I will redo everything from scratch in the real size. 

I'm going to check out your model in depth to see how you did it, looks nice. The hardest part will probably be the two cutaways of the guitar but I'm not there yet.

thanks for your time and help, greetings

Message 15 of 20

I tried to analyse your model but for one reason I don't know where this Rail 2 comes from in the middle of the second surface ? It's impressive to see how smooth your model is but this will need some more study not sure if I understand completely. thanks 😊

body 5.png

Message 16 of 20

Have you been able to decipher the design to see how it was created ?

EESignature

Message 17 of 20

Hello, first of all my excuses for not coming back earlier I didn't saw your latest reply so thought my last question wasn't answered sorry again. Yes I was able to open your file but like I posted in my last post I'm not sure where the rail 2 comes from ? 

thanks again for your kind help and time, greetings,

Message 18 of 20

So after I created another long and detailed post the awful forum software killed it again:

TrippyLighting_0-1626293022795.png

This time, however, I had the presence of mind to move the info to a google docs document.

Here is a link to the "post" 

The model is attached.

EESignature

Message 19 of 20

Hey thanks you so much for your help on this, I'll investigate your doc file asap (am at work right now) and let you know how it works, thanks so much for your kind help on this,

all the best and greetings,

Hans 
Message 20 of 20

Wow I'm speechless what an amount of work you did , I can't thank you enough this is just fantastic 

greetings, Hans

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report