Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help with sweeps: crooked end

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dogolearn
2736 Views, 5 Replies

Need some help with sweeps: crooked end

I'm working on a ribbon cable. The ribbon itself is a single profile swept along a spline path. I'd like the end of the sweep to line up as well as the start. File is attached.

a few details:

• There is a single profile at the sweep start. There is a similar outline at the end - should/could I be using a loft? Sweeps and 3D sketches are tough for me, but lofts kick my butt.
  • When I edit the sweep, the bodies (short wires at the end connector) I want to match up to disappear. Could I move things around in the timeline so those bodies will stay visible?
  • Will it be possible to anchor the ribbon cable pattern to the connector bodies in such a way that I could reshape the cable and the ribbon cable (sweep) would follow and update nicely? Like when I go to use this cable in a project, the connectors need to get plugged into receptacles.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: dogolearn

That's a mouthful.

Seems simple enough, place the 2 connectors where you want them.

Loft the cable between both sets of intermediate wires, using the spline as centre line rail.

If the connectors move before the ribbon cable is created (Timeline order) then the ribbon cable will update correctly.

Might help...

Message 3 of 6
davebYYPCU

Got some time to review your file just now.

Needs a major rethink - and some Fusion tricks - if you want to move a connector and the cable is to follow seamlessly.

Your current ribbon centre line is adjusting in my testing, (some rebuilding) but you would have to be mindful that movements inducing self intersections (read sharpish turns) will not be tolerated.  Would need some guidance as to movement range/s for the connectors. (XYZ directions and how far?)

I would make the transition to the connector pieces a bit longer for smoother more natural appearance, but that is the least of the concern so far.

Can assist if you wish.

Might help...

Message 4 of 6
dogolearn
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Thanks. I like the idea of learning more about timeline order. Right now, when I try to add more rotation to the ribbon cable so it lines up better with the end connector's wires, the end connector disappears. Not helpful. Perhaps if I re-order things in the timeline, I could make adjustments to the twist while still being able to see the end connector's wires.

thanks,
Dave
Message 5 of 6
dogolearn
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hi-

Yes, some help would be appreciated. Why does it need a major rethink - is my approach way off? What would be better? I'm glad to change my approach - this is intended as a generic re-usable solution, so I want to spend the time to get it right.
Sure, I can move the transition plane further from the connector. As for your question about movement range of the connectors, I suppose it is about 6" - how does that play in?
Can you see at the destination end of the sweep where it doesn't join up very nicely? Do you have any idea how to improve that? I was able to improve it by fiddling with the curve handles until the tilt zero'd out in both planes and then adjust the twist bit by bit down to 1/2 degrees. Perhaps there is a more systematic way than that.

Thanks,
Dave
Message 6 of 6
davebYYPCU

Why does it need a major rethink - is my approach way off?

Think about it - real world you either buy the cable off the shelf at a set length, (One component)

Or you make your own custom length ribbon with two connector blocks. (Three components)

What would be better? I'm glad to change my approach - this is intended as a generic re-usable solution, so I want to spend the time to get it right.

You will need to decide if you're going off the shelf or making it.

There is nothing in the file that guides a more specific answer to this part of the discussion.

As for your question about movement range of the connectors, I suppose it is about 6" - how does that play in?

Making Fusion do what is required is causing the questions for the how / what to do.  Example below for what I think you mean.

Can you see at the destination end of the sweep where it doesn't join up very nicely?

Do you have any idea how to improve that?

Yes

I was able to improve it by fiddling with the curve handles until the tilt zero'd out in both planes and then adjust the twist bit by bit down to 1/2 degrees. Perhaps there is a more systematic way than that.

It is done using sketch constraints and dimensions.

My off the shelf version, allows for positioning the loose end and fudging the cable lenght.

scrcdb.PNG

scrcdb1.PNG

Might help....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report