Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move a Component, How can I edit this Feature ?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Christoph_360
409 Views, 7 Replies

Move a Component, How can I edit this Feature ?

Hello

Christoph_360_0-1721111280300.png

I haven't found a way to change the angle of this Feature afterwards, for example.

Does anyone have an idea?

Mfg

Christoph

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Christoph_360

Where would you like to put it?  It's not Grounded or Jointed, and is free to go.

Edit the Capture Position, start the Move Tool, you get this

wwultpi.PNG

Regardless, you can click drag at anytime, and capture the Position again.

Might help....

Message 3 of 8
Drewpan

Hi,

In most cases we try to avoid moving parts around in a design unless we really have to. The reason we try to do it this

way is that moving objects around can create big performance issues. There are typically two main methods of

modeling - design in place or design at the Origin and use a Joint. Using a joint is treated differently by fusion to the

Move command. The Move command calculates everything in the model up to the move; fusion then starts re-

calculating everything after the move until you move it again; then it starts re-calculating everything again after the

move, etc. Each time you force fusion to re-calculate will be a hit to performance. If the model is simple it isn't a big

deal, if it is complex the performance hit can be massive. Using a joint moves the component without a massive

model wide recalculate, just a local one.

My advice to you is that if you need a part located at a very specific point and you want to use the User Coordinate

Space (UCS) then set it all up first and then model and do NOT do it the other way around. You will have much less

problems doing it this way.

You CAN do it the way you have demonstrated but it isn't really good workflow. Like any engineer, you might not know

exactly what your design will end up like, but some forward planning before you start will save a lot of stress later.

Dave's method above is how you would Move it. I hope I have convinced you not to, unless you REALLY need to.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 4 of 8
Christoph_360
in reply to: Drewpan

Hello

@Drewpan wrote:

Hi,

In most cases we try to avoid moving parts around in a design unless we really have to.

Thank you for this information.

With the help of a Joint, I was now able to create a Configured Design, which was the original intention with the MOVE Feature.

However, I still had to create a Dummy Body to be able to create a joint. Is there a way to solve the task without a Dummy Body?

Mfg

Christoph

Message 5 of 8
Drewpan

Hi,

Obviously to make a joint you have to join at least two things together, so no you cannot do it just with one body.

You are on the right track in that you created a UCS Origin. When you create any plane or set of planes you can sketch

on any plane surface. If you set your UCS where you want it then you can sketch on one of those planes and use the

UCS Origin as your local Origin. Then it is normal extrude and model. You can use any plane and any flat surface to

start a sketch on.

All you need to do here is create your sketch on a UCS plane and do the rest as normal modeling.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 6 of 8
Christoph_360
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hello

@davebYYPCU  schrieb:

Edit the Capture Position, start the Move Tool, you get this

Thank you for your Support

I wanted to create a parameterized Move with a Component for a Configured Design. However, this task can only be solved with Joints (Many Thanks to @Drewpan).

Mfg

Christoph

Message 7 of 8

@Christoph_360 wrote:...However, I still had to create a Dummy Body to be able to create a joint. Is there a way to solve the task without a Dummy Body?

you don't have to create a dummy body, or even a second component.  you can joint to the top level origin.  or if you need more positional control, to a sketch created at the top level.

Message 8 of 8

Hello

@laughingcreek  wrote:

you don't have to create a dummy body, or even a second component.  you can joint to the top level origin. 

Thank you for your support

You are right, it really doesn't need a dummy body, I can connect it to the top level origin.

Great!

Mfg

Christoph

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report