Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling/Sculpting my idea

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
1511 Views, 19 Replies

Modeling/Sculpting my idea

I trying to design a grommet but I just can't figure out how to get the shape.  I'm tried for at least 3 hours trying, but couldn't get very far.  Do you guys have any ideas?  Thanks!

Below is the drawings I have for my design.  I also have what I've tried...except the edges part...too hard!

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey again, I'm putting together a demo for you. Hold on a sec.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

Alright (cool design BTW), first I made a spline of roughly what I wanted (you can insert your image to trace it) for a pair of those shapes, optionally using two concentric arcs/circles for guidance.  Note that while drawing the spline holding Ctrl down will prevent snapping and other auto stuff from happening.  Once done with a rough spline, I click off of it so the tangent bars all go away, then easier to drag the spline points around to do fine adjustment. 

Untitled - 17.jpg

I then did a circular pattern of that pair to make six of them. 

Untitled - 16.jpg

I then selected the original pair (using click drag selection from left to right so circles not selected too), and did a Move such that all 6 came together, so there just a small gap between edges of all.

Untitled - 15.jpg

I then added a Coincident constraint between original pair and neighboring pair, and moved resulting point around a little to get good curvature of now joined line.  Nicely the rest joined automatically also so now get shaded tan profile that we can extrude!

Untitled - 14.jpg

Here is the cool profile extruded, and I have next defined a sketch on the top of the extrude, in which I drew a larger concentric circle, and used resulting outer profile to extrude downwards to make the lip. 

Untitled - 13.jpg

Finally I did a Modify > Fillet to the upper and lower edge of the lip, and viola!

Untitled - 12.jpg

Hope that helps.

Jesse

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

Oops, forgot to mention about when I moved the 6 pairs together, I first had to click on and then press keyboard delete for the little coincident constraint icons that were attaching the original spline to those dotted construction lines.

Jesse

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

Thank you for all your help!  I literally couldn't have done it without you!!!!  I wish I could give you 20 kudos!

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Jesse

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

I was just thinking now it would be helpful to make two lines like this from the origin, and add an angle dimension by choosing the dimensioning tool, then one line, and then the other and enter 60 degrees for the angle, so can then draw the spline pair to already be in correct position.  That's part of the fun of this stuff, many ways to do it!

Untitled - 19.jpg

Jesse

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

i was wondering how you got the cocentric circle lines to be dotted instead of solid...thanks!

Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

To make lines dotted, first click on the line so it's selected, then right click the mouse and choose Normal/Construction, and that will turn it into a construction line.

Jesse

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

I don't see the option (attachment)

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

I got it now!  I had to switch it to normal/construction during the sketch phase

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

is it possible to copy and paste splines?

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

Yes, besides duplicating it with a circular or rectangular pattern, can left click on the spline to select it (while in Sketch mode), then right click and choose copy.  Finally right click again and choose paste, bringing up a Move Pallete and "triad" moving/rotating tool to allow new placement of the pasted spline/line before clicking ok.

Jesse

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

Note that in my demo, I suppose I omitted a lot of small details, so don't be surprised if you run into issues during the "learning curve" 😉

Jesse

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

Also note when you paste the spline and get that triad moving tool, careful not to move or rotate the spline out of the sketch plane (it will cause the spline to not be modifiable such as to change its shape).

Jesse

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

Yay, you gave me 100 kudos 😉

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

If you wanna know what mine looks like...

again...thanks for your help...i completely forgot about the splines from the autodesk tutorial pdf!

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

one last thing...i swear...if I wanted to make a 2-3/8" model from my first model, which was 2", how do I?  Do i insert it into another drawing and extend it?  Is it even possible?

Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

Anything is possible 😉  Especially with Fusion 360 as a tool.  You can go to Modify > Scale and select the body(s) you want to scale, and pick a point that will stay stationary during the scale operation, and the correct scale factor for your case.  If you want to scale everything in a sketch, you can select the sketch in the browser tree (on the left) and use the same Scale command.  If you want to keep the original body, you could make a copy of it first before scaling, or insert it into a new drawing as you say.

Don't worry, how is anyone suppose to learn without asking questions? 😉

Jesse

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report