Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing surface pieces after extrusion

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
joaquiniuqaoj
369 Views, 9 Replies

Missing surface pieces after extrusion

Hello! I am having trouble with getting this extrusion to finish without these small errors. All of the extrusion went fine except for a few parts and now they look like its missing surface, like you can see through these little sections. The sketch looks to be ok and I've tried multiple ways around it but it still comes up with these little holes after extrusion. Is there a way to fix this or 'repair' it after its been extruded? Obviously Im doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what! The sketch is a mix of a projection and added design overlayed and trimmed. extruded.PNGsketch.PNG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CGBenner
in reply to: joaquiniuqaoj

@joaquiniuqaoj 

Welcome to the forum.  I've moved your post here so that our Fusion Design experts can take a look at it.  Good luck!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 10
g-andresen
in reply to: joaquiniuqaoj

Hi,

From my point of view, it's just a display error.

maybe @Phil.E   can take a look at it?

günther

Message 4 of 10

I think maybe you're asking a bit too much using this projected curve from an edge curved in 2 directions.

HughesTooling_0-1711125021791.png

After the extrude you can see there are multiple surfaces where there should be singe surfaces. Probably because of projecting then extruding back to an edge and losing some accuracy.

HughesTooling_2-1711125204313.png

Might be worth trying to offset the projected curves a small amount inwards to leave a small border around the edge of the pattern and the fillets.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10

OK, as a test I broke the link for the projected edges in the sketch. Then edited the fillets and reduced them be 0.01mm to leave a 0.01mm border and now it seems to work fine. See attached design.

HughesTooling_0-1711125550141.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10

@joaquiniuqaoj Some suggestions on the design.

Don't think you are grasping the idea of the timeline very well. There's a section of the timeline where you split the main body, delete one part, mirror then align then move twice where you could have just used a mirror and edited then timeline to only model half from the start. The timeline is about 3 times longer than it needed to be. It's not like the real world where if you cut something the wrong size you need to glue a bit on, you can go back in time and just make it the right size!

HughesTooling_0-1711126069936.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 7 of 10

When you created this feature.

HughesTooling_0-1711127034416.png

If you'd used split face rather split you could then just use offset face to create the recess a lot easier. See attached file. And looking at the design a bit more I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve with the splitting and mirroring. Seems like you want around in a circle and pretty much ended up where you started.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

Hey, thank you for your help. Do you have an email I can contact you at? I'd like to go over some of your suggestions so I can improve how I design things if you have a moment sometime. I haven't done any real classes in regards to fusion 360 or solidworks, I just learn by doing but it seems like you have some experience and maybe I could pick your brain a little. I don't have a company or anything like that, but I do make things for myself and friends and family and I always want to learn more if I can. Thanks again for your help and suggestions, its highly appreciated.

Message 9 of 10
joaquiniuqaoj
in reply to: g-andresen

Thank you for taking a look at this!

Message 10 of 10
joaquiniuqaoj
in reply to: CGBenner

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report