Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is There a Better Way to Cut a V-Groove?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
oo7_golden_1
220 Views, 2 Replies

Is There a Better Way to Cut a V-Groove?

Hello everyone,

I am still learning better ways to use fusion 360 and have recently hit a snag on one of my projects and I was hoping to reach out to see if there was a cleaner more efficient way to do something in fusion.

I am creating a simple box-like item with a top and a bottom. The edges of all of the sides contain either fillets or chamfers.

There are chamfers added to the sections of the cube where each piece touches.

For aesthetic purposes I am trying to add a V-Groove along the sides of the cube and along the top and sides of the top and bottom pieces to visually imitate the chamfers of the areas where each piece connects.

I was hoping to draw a sketch and then use that sketch to simply extrude/cut a -45% angled V-groove into the objects the same depth and width as the total depth and width of the chamfers when the pieces are connected to one another. In this case .8mm (.4mm + .4mm) wide and .4 deep.

The Extrude tool does not seem to work well with rounded surfaces.

I tried using the emboss feature for the first time but I couldn’t seem to get it to work right.

I have tried everything I can think of and the only thing I have found that works is to create a sketch with a line as to where I want the V-Groove cut, then “Split Face” along that line onto the entire face/surface of the object where I want the V-groove to go, then use the pipe feature to cut each one of those sections out one at a time into a square (I cannot seem to figure out how the make the triangle “section” of the pipe tool work the way I need it to), then I add a chamfer to the bottom of each of the square cut outs created by the pipe and that seems to work.

This is very time consuming and I figure that there has to be a better and cleaner way to achieve this task…

What are some ways that a more learned or experienced individual might go about cutting a V-grove along the entire surface of an object in Fusion 360?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jhackney1972
in reply to: oo7_golden_1

Creating a Sweep before the bottom chamfer and then patterning it is pretty fast.  Model is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 3
oo7_golden_1
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you @jhackney1972,

This is the kind of advice I was looking for. Thank you very much for taking the time to build and upload a model that I could examine to see exactly what you did.

I appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report