Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is fusion 360 free indefinitely if your a hobbyist

73 REPLIES 73
Message 1 of 74
bgolash
187181 Views, 73 Replies

Is fusion 360 free indefinitely if your a hobbyist

Hi

I am thinking about using fusion for my cabinet shop. I like the program and would invest

my time designing seed cabinets for my upcoming jobs. But I wonder how long Fusion will be

free. At the moment even if you had to purhase a subscription its very affordable. But again

there is nothing keeping Autodesk from increasing the price to levels too high for a startup.

If it was not indefinite for a small business and a subscription cost $1000.00 a year it would be too high.

12 years of use equals $12000. My take on CAD software is usually if a version was never updated

it would have enough functionalty for 99% of the user base.

Barry

73 REPLIES 73
Message 41 of 74
lichtzeichenanlage
in reply to: Anonymous

The license says that the hobbyist / startup licences has to be renewed once a year.

Message 42 of 74
brianrepp

@Anonymous - thanks for trying out F360!  You're in your 30 day trial period right now and then you'll make the move to hobbyist.  Cheers!

Message 43 of 74
jodom4

Hi Ziyad,

From the entitlements info page: "You may use the service if You are (a) a company, startup, or home-based business that generates less than $100,000 (or equivalent in other currency) per year from the total sale of goods or services..."

By that we mean $100,000 (US) in top line gross sales for the year, not profit.

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 44 of 74
Anonymous
in reply to: brianrepp

Thanks Brian for the prompt reply.  Just starting to learn the program but greatly pleased with it.  Very gracious of the company to support the vast hobbyists that otherwise would not be able to financially justify this quality of software. 

Message 45 of 74
jodom4

Hey, MySchizoBuddy

It's technically top line gross sales, so that would mean revenue, not profit.

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 46 of 74
diver_ozcan

Hello.  I  am a hobbyist. My subscription will end in 16 days.  How can I renew my subscription again? Best regards. 

Message 47 of 74
brianrepp
in reply to: diver_ozcan

Message 48 of 74
Anonymous

Do you have to wait till the trial is over to get it for hobbies? I read the earlier forum about registering it as a hobby but never gave a chance to after buy not it went straight to a purchase page. This is non commercial use.

Thanks

Message 49 of 74
f4cjz

a small question I just revalidate my license for personal use and non-commercial, and the expiration date is 2020. The license is not renewed every year ???

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

François.

Message 50 of 74
Anonymous
in reply to: f4cjz

Im using Fusion 360 for a year now.

When I started I was looking for the free 3D cad program at a semi professional base. maybe once a month or once in the 2 months.

Does this still counts as hobbyist? because I cant choose the free option?

Regards,

Wouter Wolfs

Message 51 of 74
brianrepp

@Anonymous - have a look at the terms of service HERE to see if you still qualify.

Since you last signed up as a hobbyist, the experience has slightly changed in the "purchase"/renewal process.  Another helpful article is HERE that explains the new experience.

Message 52 of 74
fission360user

I have an orange flag "Expired: Buy now" and when I clicked on it, the only choices are monthly or annual payments. I understand that the free hobbyist and start-up tiers are still available but I cannot see how or where I could renew my licence. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Message 54 of 74
szili83

I have got student license, but I would like to change it to hobbyist/startup. How can I change it? Thanks!

@brianrepp wrote:

Hi @Anonymous - welcome to the community!  As long as you're using F360 for the purpose of a hobby or a business making less than $100k, you're currently able to download our trial (free) and at the end of the trial sign-up for a free subscription as a hobbyist/startup.  

Message 55 of 74
brianrepp
in reply to: szili83

Hi @szili83 - you can make the request HERE.

Message 56 of 74
Anonymous

So as a hobbyist, I'm finding a steep learning curve on most cad tools.  So it is a commitment on my part to learn a tool.  What I'm reading here is that Autodesk is only willing to commit to one year at a time, unless I am a student.  So a guy that will for sure be a pro can use Fusion 360 for 3 years, but someone that is not a pro must invest his time at the risk of having the software become unavailable after a year.

I can see removing update rights, or access to new library downloads...  But if you are telling me that I potentially loose use of the skills I have learned or loose use of my own files/designs, or worse must pay you a quarter of my gross income from unrelated work just to have access to my own work, that is asking too much.

If I learn your tool, I am a potential pro down the road...  But if learning your tool carries with it grave risk, that down the road pro will be using a different product such as freecad.  If I learn Freecad now, I'm unlikely to have a desire for an Autodesk product down the road.

I would rather Autodesk come up with a price for the hobby version.  I am willing to pay, as long as I know up front how much it will cost and how long I can use the files I generate.  I'm not against paying, I'm against taking a risk with my time and designs.

I live in the Austin area, and there are horror stories around here of people being burned by Autodesk a few decades back, Autodesk burned bridges with people helping them sell product, so the lack of commitment and the software license that expires on an annual basis is a deal breaker.

I am 20 days away from having to give up another product I was originally told was free...  I've only partially utilized it for what I need, and now suddenly it is going away when I told it was supposed to last as long as I was in the free tier.  In the case of the other product, I was offered purchases along the way, and all of that money is lost as soon as the underlying service goes away.  It is great that Autodesk gives you a warning up front that you only get a year, but I'm not making an investment in *anything* that threatens to potentially destroy my creativity design at the whim of someone that might decide to squeeze me for money later...  Give me the option to pay a fair price now for something I can keep using.  If you must charge renewal fees, give me a commitment on what those fees will be... like $X00 now and 20% of the original price every year after X years...  

I don't mind paying, but I don't want my creations held hostage later.

Message 57 of 74
etfrench

The "hobby" version is the same as the professional/unlimited version.  You're free to pay for it if you want to.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 58 of 74
Anonymous

As a student, I know 3 years is free. However, I will be using it likely for about 4 years (first year in CC, then into university). I believe I'm currently on year 2, however, I have about 2 more years to use this program. What is the work around for a student who still needs a student license for the time being?

Message 59 of 74
TrippyLighting

If spend some time reading through the entire thread and generally informing yourself then you'll figure out that much of what you write is baseless.

The hobbyist/startup license has to be renewed in yearly intervals. But it remains to be free!

EESignature

Message 60 of 74
Anonymous

I'm just a hobbyist mmachinist

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report