Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert .DXF doesn't work and Insert .SVG causes Fusion360 to Crash, Repeatedly

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Lifeisriding
328 Views, 8 Replies

Insert .DXF doesn't work and Insert .SVG causes Fusion360 to Crash, Repeatedly

Just as the title says. 

I made a little screen capture video of the issue in live action. 

I have used both these functions many times before over the last years but I noticed I was not able to use Insert .DXF the first time a couple months ago I believe. 

Link to Video of Issue

https://www.screencast.com/t/2lgP6EUONPW

If we could get this fixed that would be great as it forces me to use another CAD package to solve currently. 

Cheers for looking! 

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jhackney1972
in reply to: Lifeisriding

What version of Fusion 360 are you using?  I am using and do not have any issues.  I am using Windows 10. 

Version.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 9
jeff_strater

@Lifeisriding - can you share a sample SVG or DXF file that shows this?  I am the same as @jhackney1972 - it seems to work on me for simple files, so wondering if this is data-specific.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 9
jeff_strater
in reply to: jeff_strater

watched the screencast (sound off, because I was in a meeting at the time).  It looks like the file dialog never comes up.  This can happen if the last time it worked OK, the location was a network drive, or a folder location that is no longer available.  I forget how to reset this, but if you think this might be the case, try to reset things to their default settings, or some other way to make the last file location be something valid.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 9
Lifeisriding

It has nothing to do with the what svg or dxf as I am not able to even get to select them as shown in the video. 

Message 6 of 9
Lifeisriding

has nothing to do with the .dxf or .svg since the dialogue box doesn't come up to even be able to select them. 

I am running windows 11, the latest release of fusion I believe. 

Message 7 of 9
Lifeisriding

Thanks for the Rely @Anonymous . Not sure what you mean by trying to reset things to their defaults... since their is not diolague box and Fusion crashes where would I go to specify this location? 

Message 8 of 9
jeff_strater

sorry for the slow reply.  It does seem as if the file chooser dialog is either pointing somewhere bad (last know location), or the dialog is off screen (it can happen even without a separate monitor, though we've not been able to reproduce it).  I suspect the crash is related to these threads:

both of these refer to the How-to-do-an-automatic-Clean-Uninstall-for-Autodesk-Fusion-360 article as one way to resolve it.  You will lose settings and customizations this way, but it might be worth it.

Another short term approach for the SVG (won't work for DXF) is to upload the SVG to your project, and then use the project browser to select it, instead of the file dialog.

Another thing to try is reset to default layout.  That will only help if the file chooser is off screen somewhere, which might not be likely in this case:

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 5.23.11 PM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 9 of 9

If the problem is the last directory you Saved or Opened a file from is no longer available there is a fix in this post.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report