Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In manufacturing how do you flip the heights when flipping the part to mill the bottom?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jamesdarrah1
287 Views, 2 Replies

In manufacturing how do you flip the heights when flipping the part to mill the bottom?

I have a fairly simple design to mill & drill some openings on the top of a tube, rotate it 180 degrees and mill & drill some more openings on the bottom.  The top is done and looks like it will work.   I need to do the  same operations on the bottom, 2D pocket, 2D contour,  and drilling  but selecting openings on the bottom. My plan, which hasn't worked so far was to duplicate the top settings, rename to bottom settings and deselect the items that were selected due to the copy and then select the openings on the bottom.  My problem right now is to get the height correct when the part is oriented bottom side up.

jamesdarrah1_1-1620496039435.png

This shows the part flipped with the heights pointing down. For the bottom setup how do I reorient these heights to flip along with the part so they align like they do when the tube is rotated top up?

jamesdarrah1_2-1620496307075.png

Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
etfrench
in reply to: jamesdarrah1

You need to create a new setup and set Z to the bottom face.  You can copy the toolpaths from the top setup, but you'll need to reset the contour selections.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 3

Also unless you have a 4 axis machine and postprocessor you should not be using tool orientation within a machining operation. For 3 axis machines you set the orientation in the setup only.

Uncheck for 3 axis machines.

HughesTooling_0-1620645417251.png

Matk

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report