Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print a sketch?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kdeuler
6393 Views, 5 Replies

How to print a sketch?

Hi. Is there a way to print a sketch to a printer, or at least to PDF or some other format that can be opened by a drawing tool for printing. Note also that I have two overlaid sketches (1 floor plan, 2 power grid). I'd like to print them "together" -- so that the drawings/text from the two sketches are blended.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
HughesTooling
in reply to: kdeuler

No you can't print a sketch. You need to create a 3d model then create a drawing from the model to create a printable drawing. I have a couple other solid modeling programs and they are the same, you can print but all you get is an image file just like Fusion's Capture Image option.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
ToddHarris7556

Actually, the ability to include sketches in drawings was added not long ago. At least, with some limitations. 

So, while there isn't to my knowledge a way to print a sketch from a model directly, you can create a drawing, and either print that or PDF it.

If your model has solid bodies in it, then the base drawing view will by default look at them. You'll have to manually include the sketches in the view. 

If your model does NOT have solid bodies in it, then the base view will include the sketches.

In terms of limitations - 

- NORMAL sketch lines will appear as phantom lines in drawings. No way to change that.

- CONSTRUCTION lines in sketches will not appear in drawings.

- There's no way to alter properties of either sketch - so if for example, you wanted to emulate AutoCAD layers with different colors or linetypes for the plan vs the power grid, you're out of luck. 

Having said that, if all you want is the ability to dimension some things and print to scale, there you go.

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 4 of 6

@ToddHarris7556 wrote:

In terms of limitations - 

- NORMAL sketch lines will appear as phantom lines in drawings. No way to change that.

- CONSTRUCTION lines in sketches will not appear in drawings.

- There's no way to alter properties of either sketch - so if for example, you wanted to emulate AutoCAD layers with different colors or linetypes for the plan vs the power grid, you're out of luck. 

Having said that, if all you want is the ability to dimension some things and print to scale, there you go.

Also no dimensions from the sketch will show in the drawing so you might as well export a DXF from the sketch and open in AutoCAD or QCad and dimension. Or just not bother with Fusion's sketch and draw and dimension in another program. Really if you're not going to make a model and stay in 2d Fusion not the tool to use until all sketch tools are in the drawing workspace. Going on current progress, I guess another 5 to 10 years before that happens.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6

+1 to everything @HughesTooling offered :

We love a great many things about Fusion, but drawings are a huge weakness.

While it's possible to get a print of a sketch, personally I wouldn't even think of opening Fusion for this. I'd use Inventor all day long - but I recognize that not everyone can do that.

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 6 of 6
g-andresen

Hi,

Mark is right that no dimensions appear, but you can dimension sketch elements very well.

dimensioning of sketch elements in drawingsdimensioning of sketch elements in drawings
If no standard drawing is required, this method can be used.

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report