Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with splitting bodies

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
742 Views, 13 Replies

Problems with splitting bodies

I am trying to merge two sweeps and clear out the insides by using the inside faces to cut the extra material. I am finding every method I try generates errors. When my swept profile was a circle it was fine. Once I changed it to an ellipse I have been running into problems. I broke the pieces out of the master drawing and can post them here.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

You are breaking the golden rule, your sketches are not fully constrained.

These lines are not vertical, and you should constrain everything else if you want predictable results.

New.png

I've added the vertical constraints in the attached file, up to you to finish the rest.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
TheCADWhisperer

I started to remodel in a much much simplified technique and first thing I noticed (besides unconstrained sketches) is that your dimensions are very very tiny ("paper thin").

Is this what you really intended?

Paper Thin.PNG

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thank you Trippy,

That helped a lot, but even after constraining both sketches I have an artifact. In the past I have added a feature in the sketch to sweep the artifact out but I am wondering what the proper solution is? 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Here is the artifact removed with an added sketch.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hi CADW, Yes, the piece is a reinforcement in a poptop can lid. I am modeling it more for the render than production but I am making the effort to keep as faithful to the details as possible. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 12.50.02 PM.png

Message 7 of 14
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous 

I completely missed what your Design Intent was.  But this was still an interesting exercise for me.

@jeff_strater 

Well I had to fight the sketch all the way, but finally got something and now the bodies will not combine.

Am I the only one who still sees massive issues with the sketcher?

I am astonished after all of these years just how bad Fusion still is. 

I don't post these issues every day - but I see them every day.

Couldn't do Extrude cuts on individual bodies if I Extruded symmetrically midplane or Revolve 90° (180 total).

So did it in two halves, mirrored and they will not combine.

(see Attached example)

Edit: On closer examination I did find an issue that I missed earlier, but it shouldn't account in any way for the difficulties that I experienced.

Message 8 of 14

Second it Mr CADWhisperer,

San Francisco, San Francisco,... 'Combine has a problem!'.

Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT
Tags (1)
Message 9 of 14

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

Am I the only one who still sees massive issues with the sketcher?

Nope!

I am astonished after all of these years just how bad Fusion still is. 

I don't post these issues every day - but I see them every day.

Same here!

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
colinNJB25
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I am drawing everyday and I see major improvements in the last year or two but I would love for the Fusion Team to spend more time following the bugs. What would be really helpful is better error messages. I always get frustrated when it says click for more information and then gives you the same information.

Edit: I see this thread was started from my personal account. I meant to start it from my work account.

Message 11 of 14

I have seen improvements, but when I try to do the most simple of sketches to try to help out others here and I have to fight the sketch... ...it gets a bit frustrating.

Especially when I was told by an Autodesk EE at Autodesk University that I simply hadn't taken the time to properly learn Fusion.  I use Inventor and SolidWorks all day and don't see these simple sketching issues.

Message 12 of 14

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

I have seen improvements, but when I try to do the most simple of sketches to try to help out others here and I have to fight the sketch... ...it gets a bit frustrating.

I have also seen improvements, but the matter is that the sketch engine is not only incomplete as it offers no real 3D sketching, it is also incredibly buggy when you are working with splines.  A simple blend curve is often impossible and the task is fraught with ridiculous bugs.

I've used Fusion 360 for more than 6 years now and I would believe the sketch engine goes back another 2-3 years.

In that period of time it is not too much to expect that the very core of all modeling operations in Fusion 360 behaves stable without constant introduction of new bugs when old ones get fixed.

I don't even want to start imagining what form of debilitating bugs are going to be introduced in the wake of developing 3D sketch functionality.

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
colinNJB25
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I had some problems with making fillets and circles tangent to ellipse in that drawing so I made some attempts to see how it worked. How is this tangent?

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 1.38.20 PM.png

Message 14 of 14
HughesTooling
in reply to: colinNJB25

This is how it's tangent, apparent intersections\tangent can be useful but not this time!

turntest.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report