Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model a rotating "nudge"?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
lure23
460 Views, 10 Replies

How to model a rotating "nudge"?

I would like to make a part that is round, and where the top is higher in one place than in others.

The height would be a constant on each radius towards the center. The purpose is to make a hinge that returns to the center.

bmdesign_0-1619013062284.png

Imagine the part above the yellow line cut out, and the yellow line to follow the circumference of the barrel.

Is modelling this possible in Fusion 360?   I haven't found a way I could do it.

Perhaps a better picture:

bmdesign_0-1619013957212.png

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
g-andresen
in reply to: lure23

Hi,

please show a picture of a real existing object

günther

Message 3 of 11
dsouzasujay

@lure23 ,

Something like this?
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/1e9c8a37-9df0-4698-9418-096abd1860c5

If you find my answer solved your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button

Sujay D'souza
SQA Manager
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 11
g-andresen
in reply to: dsouzasujay

Hi,

@dsouzasujay  
It honours you to consider what the questioner might have meant.
However, at this point I would like to appeal to all questioners to present their concerns in such a way that potential helpers do not have to call on the help of a crystal ball.

günther

Message 5 of 11

@g-andresen wrote:

have to call on the help of a crystal ball.

Crystal ball repair | Etsy

Message 6 of 11
HughesTooling

This thread that goes into how to create a cylinder cam might help. Start from post #8.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
lure23

@g-andresen You are spot on that I should have included a photo. But I don't even know what these forms are called - so... "cylinder cam" it seems. Kudos, @HughesTooling for understanding my cues!

@dsouzasujay Also - awesome videos. My case would have been the third (extrude from center outward). The work-around I now got suffices my need.

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 8 of 11
lure23

Notes on where I went and the obstacle faced.

bmdesign_1-1619079702571.png

Instead of using multiple planes, I created the fan pattern and the 3D path in one sketch, with parametrically rising 3D lines as one can see.

Then connected the points at the top, but for some reason Fusion 360 doesn't like me sweeping with a spline as the path. (Will see the video again - because I think it did exactly that). Why is my 'OK' disabled? 

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 9 of 11
HughesTooling

Can you export the design as an F3D and upload here?

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
lure23

Notes on where I went and the obstacle faced.

bmdesign_1-1619079702571.png

Instead of using multiple planes, I created the fan pattern and the 3D path in one sketch, with parametrically rising 3D lines as one can see.

Then connected the points at the top, but for some reason Fusion 360 doesn't like me sweeping with a spline as the path. (Will see the video again - because I think it did exactly that). Why is my 'OK' disabled? 

--- 

Edit: Got further in the above situation by selecting Path + Guide Surface (using a temporary extruded cylinder face) - that works!

But that outcome wasn't quite smooth and I disliked that one needs to tune the splines by hand (two of them!). 

Here is a way that doesn't involve spline tuning.

1. Create "step" points in a 3D sketch as shown above (but no need to connect them by spline). 

2. Surface > Loft them together. I left the topmost (0 step) out.

3. At this point, I extruded a solid body to the surface. Needed to Surface > Modify > Extend the surface since their outlines were the same and "Extrude To" didn't like it.

4. Mirrorred the body

5. Joined the gap (by Solid > Revolve)

6. Smoothened the top (Fillet) 

bmdesign_0-1619084021288.png

This is still not mathematically ideal since not all surface lines are radial-from-center-and-horizontal (in lack of better terms) but this is good enough. The non-radialness comes from the use of Fillet and can thus be done differently, if someone wants a "horizontal" body (ie. where the highest peak doesn't lean downwards, as it does in the picture).

Hint: Inspect > Isocurve analysis > Type: U may be useful in seeing the forms.

DISCLAIMER: 
I needed to struggle with the Fustion 360 Forums as well. Ran out of time editing the above post.  That's why the duplicate. I got what I wanted - thanks for the help.

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 11 of 11
HughesTooling

Doesn't emboss get you something closer to what you need? See attached file.

HughesTooling_1-1619087048403.png

HughesTooling_2-1619087107738.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report