Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to join or align bodies in my design?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
1058 Views, 16 Replies

how to join or align bodies in my design?

Hello,

Here is a part of my design :

2020-07-04_17h40_40.png

2020-07-04_17h53_04.png

The blue bodies are correctly joined to the rail. I just designed the yellow bodies but they are too high. I just want them to go down a little they need to be attached to the rail too.

I tried a lot of things with the joint tool but i wasn't able to do what i want. I tried the move tool to move down the yellow part and then i used rigid group with the rail but it's not really accurate.

Can someone explain me how i can do that please.

Unfortuantely i cannot share my f3d because i have a lot of things already in it...

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
wmhazzard
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried the align command?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: wmhazzard

I tried, but maybe i'm using it wrong. Because each time a tried i have my yellow bodies who move in two direction. I just want them to go down (Z axis for me). I don't want them to move allong X or Y axis. In these dimensions my bodies are in the good place.

Message 4 of 17
g-andresen

Hi,

Is there a reason you don't use joints?
If you haven't worked with them before, look at them, it's worth it!

günther

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

I work a lot with them! But i don't know how to use them for doing what i want to do know. Each time i tried with a join it end up with my yellow bodies completely disturbed.

Message 6 of 17
jhackney1972

How about sharing your design so the forum users can help you with your issue.  A Screencast using your model will probably get you over your hump.  Only share what you have already shown.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

Ok here is à f3d file with my design. I know that i have a warning on a sketch but that's because i delete a lot of things before. At least you have a file you can work with.

Message 8 of 17
jhackney1972

So a couple of Pin-Slot Joints on each yellow bracket can position in on the slots in the rail and allow you to move them anywhere you desire.  I did not mention it in the Screencast but I had to ground the horizontal rail so I could move the joint.  Your model, modified, is attached with a different name.

John Hackney, Retired
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
jhackney1972

Forgot the model, getting old!

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

I don't want them to be able to move. Their positions are fixed by the sketch. I just want them to be correctly attached to the rail. If i want to move them i'll go modify my sketch.

Edit : And if possible i don't want to use offset. because if i change some dimension i'll have to come back to my joint and modify it too.

Message 11 of 17
jhackney1972

Nothing like defining your problem in your post!  As it is you can position the bracket in the correct position and "lock" the joint and it will be stationary.  The only offset I used was the depth of the slot, which is probably not going to change.  I will look at it again, which sketch are you speaking of?

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

In this sketch :

Arisoy_0-1593897866337.png

As i said since the begining, i just want the yellow bodies to go down and to be fixed onto the rail. Maybe i didn't explain it right. I'm sorry i'm not native English speaking.

Message 13 of 17
jhackney1972

What you probably want to use is what I call an Assembly Sketch.  This sketch is used as a "locator" for a Rigid joint between the bracket hole and a point in the assembly sketch.  The bracket is fixed and you can move it anywhere along the length of the rail using the assembly sketch dimension.  Screencast is attached as well as the model.  I labeled the assembly sketch so you can find it.  I only did one bracket.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
jhackney1972

By the way, I chose the four hole side of the bracket, you can choose any side you want for the assembly sketch.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

May i used the sketch i already did as an Assembly Sketch? If yes your solution is correct but i don't know how to apply it with my actual sketch. If i have to add a new sketch like you did it's not what i want.

Message 16 of 17
jhackney1972

No, you cannot use that particular sketch because is is a sketch under a component.  If you will notice my assembly sketch is in the assembly, not below any component or body.  You can create one very similar but it has to be in the assembly.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 17 of 17
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous wrote:

As i said since the begining, i just want the yellow bodies to go down and to be fixed onto the rail. Maybe i didn't explain it right. I'm sorry i'm not native English speaking.

Let me first say that your English is perfectly OK and you also explained well what you want to do. You basically designed these parts in place and now want to use a rigid group join to "lock" all the parts into place.

The reason that does not work as expected is that you have not included all the necessary origins in that rigid group joint.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report