Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to efficiently add a large array

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Tick_Tock
1267 Views, 7 Replies

How to efficiently add a large array

Hello,

I created a funnel with a filter seen below.  The problem I have is the filter brings F360 to it's knees and the model is un-editable.  I first did it on a 2d sketch and it literally took hours between mouse clicks to do anything.  I read on this forum that F360 is more efficient with patterns on features than on 2d sketches(components-with-many-patterns).  This seems un-intuitive to me but, OK, I tried it.  Now the model only takes about 5 minutes between mouse clicks.  So.. better..  but still impractical to manipulate.  I can move it around just fine but if I attempt any operation, it locks up.  I did try the "optimized" and "identical" compute options which helped but still unuseable.  It's only about 10,000 holes so it doesn't seem like that should pose any significant tax on the system (i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);GeForce GTX 980 Ti).  Is there a better way to do this? 

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Tick_Tock

If you really need these hole features modeled  then patterning a feature (vs sketch entity) is the best way to do this.

If this is done only for visual representation, perhaps a texture is a better approach.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
Tick_Tock
in reply to: TrippyLighting

This is not for visual effect.  I actually printed this for personal use (filter funnel).  Is there a way I can suppress it's computation as I add more features and then just unsuppress when I am ready to export the final?

Message 4 of 8
TrippyLighting

Right-click on the pattern feature in the timeline and select "suppress" 😉

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
Tick_Tock
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Thx.  [face palm] I did look for a suppress - hard to believe I never right-clicked the feature.  I'll give that a go next time I'm in front of my workstation.

Message 6 of 8
chrisplyler

You aren't literally planning to drill all those holes, right? You intend to buy a product similar to this...

https://www.mcnichols.com/perforated-metal/round-hole/stainless-steel-ss-18183118

...and cut, stamp, or otherwise form it into your desired size/shape, right?

So you don't need to model all those holes at all. Just use one of Fusion's material Appearances to give it a representation of the holes. No, it won't look as good on your screen, but it will be close enough so that everyone who looks over your shoulder will know it's perforated steel sheet, and it won't hog up nearly so much of your computer's brain power. It looks decent when rendered at least. Not perfect, but decent. You'll not in my image below that the texture decides to remap itself to a new "face" once it exceeds some angle.

If you really need the holes to represent as offset centers, you might have to make your own Appearance cutout and relief map images. I haven't gone through the entire materials list and looked at all of them, so I don't know if there is any perforated with offset centers already existing.

perfsheet.jpg

Message 7 of 8
Tick_Tock
in reply to: chrisplyler

@chrisplyler wrote: 

You aren't literally planning to drill all those holes, right? You intend to buy a product similar to this...

This is for a 3d print so I need all the features to be real features.  You can see a couple prints in the photo below.  I am holding the one with the 0.5mm hole diameter.

image.png

filter_funnel

Message 8 of 8
chrisplyler

@Tick_Tock

Ah I see. Then yeah, you'll just want to suppress that calculation-intensive pattern while you finish modeling the rest of it, or maybe just save that pattern until the very end. Sorry I wasted your time with my previous post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report