Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create an arc slot with a ramped floor between the endpoints?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
raymus.houston
818 Views, 11 Replies

How to create an arc slot with a ramped floor between the endpoints?

I am trying to create an arc slot with a floor that ramps between the slot endpoints following the contour of the arc, but haven't had any luck getting fusion to do what I want. I tried a loft between 2 circular profiles and extruding a 3d sketch, but neither produced the outcome I have described.

Attached is an F3D of a sample part with an arc slot extruded normally to the depth of the lower end of the slot if anyone is interested in helping me figure this out. The higher end should be -.125 from the top of the part and the lower end should be -.1875 from the top.

Tags (4)
Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Attached in your model with a different name.  I did your measures to the extreme ends of the slot, not the centers.  I labeled one sketch and one construction workplane you can adjust to get different values. 

Modify Slot.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the quick reply!

If I understand correctly, you did a surface sweep using those 2 tangent lines in sketch 2 as the profile and the vertical line in the sketch which controls the height is the path and then extruded the slot profile to the surface to make it the floor of the extrusion? I never would have thought to do anything like that since I haven't really worked with surfaces all that much.

Seems like something I should look into a bit more.

Thanks again @jhackney1972

Message 4 of 12

Depending on whether you want to control the depths from the very ends, or from the end's center points....

(You could also control with a single depth and an angular dimension if you preferred.)

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/0ae5aa93-d3eb-4a43-a2fc-be49c4f48484

Message 5 of 12

Let's back up for a minute.

1. How are you going to manufacture that?  Cut slot with endmill?

2. What mathematical ramp do want?  Uniform helical pitch?

Message 6 of 12

Oh...an ARC slot. I'm stupid, so I missed that bit.

Same as before, only you can't use a construction plane as the TO OBJECT. So you've got to make a lofted helical surface body to use as the TO OBJECT. So it's more complex to set up, but still the same idea.

But I'm with @TheCADWhisperer ... how the HECK are you going to mill it? I guess it could work if you're 3D printing it, but milling it with a bottom like that seems impossible.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/d999dbc8-315c-4567-832d-fa81a37d1abe

d999dbc8-315c-4567-832d-fa81a37d1abe,640,620

Message 7 of 12

@TheCADWhisperer & @chrisplyler The lower end of the slot will have a flat diameter, so that it can be milled using a flat endmill. I was able to get it to work this way using a variation of @jhackney1972's method, but using the inner radius of the lower slot end to sweep the surface. the original file I posted was just a sample part to get the method worked out. This is an image of the feature that I made for the actual part.Arc slot solved.PNG

Message 8 of 12

I am in the process of creating a video for illustration.

It looks like you got it right - can you Attach the file here?

https://youtu.be/VAJQ_y87oqA

Message 9 of 12

@TheCADWhisperer Attached is a sample file with the flat bottom lower end.

Message 10 of 12

I did it in Fusion by surface sweeping the lower end flat bottom circle up the helical ramp guide surface, then splitting the squished tube it made with the helical ramp and removing the upper half. Left me with the dished bottom. Pretty sure the bottom is an ellipse.

eliptical mill ramp bottom.JPG

Message 11 of 12

@chrisplyler wrote:

Pretty sure the bottom is an ellipse.

I my test - it is not symmetrical across the bottom going around the arc ramp. 

While "elliptical" in shape, not true mathematical ellipse.

Message 12 of 12

Weird. I would think it would be an elliptical cross section at any single point, assuming the section cut was through the radial center point of the arc. If the section cut isn't radial to the arc slot, then of course the bottom is going to be deeper on one side and more shallow on the other.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report