Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I wrap sticker text around long axis of cylinder?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
gatech.tim2
445 Views, 6 Replies

How do I wrap sticker text around long axis of cylinder?

I want to show a sticker I am creating on a cylindrical part in Fusion 360 but can not get it to work.  The letters would run along the long axis of the cylinder (see picture), not wrap around like a ring. 

Ideally, I want to create curved text and extrude it into a really thin layer that I can then move into place on top of a component (mesh object).  I tried extruding on that component, but I could not select the face because it just picked up a single face of the component. 

So, I created a simple cylinder body and I tried the embossing function, but it won't work.  I can select the text and the face, but there is no option and I can't click OK.  I tried to extrude and cut into the cylinder, but that didn't work.  Even though I could select the text and the body, it would not cut.  Surely there is a way to wrap text around a cylinder.  How would you model a Coke can without that ability? 

Any help would be appreciated.

gatechtim2_0-1693326723222.png

Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

For a printed sticker I would do as Sheet Metal and Split Face rather than Extrude.

Set appropriate appearances for the faces.

Message 3 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: gatech.tim2

Embossed Text, either debossed or embossed, should work.  Model attached.

Edit: I read a little closer, you want to move the finished text to a mesh object.  My process will not be correct for that.

Embossed.jpg

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
jhackney1972

You can create a surface sleeve from the model I supplied and slide it over a mesh body.  Model is attached.

Surface Sleeve.jpg

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
laughingcreek

as  @jhackney1972 has demonstrated, emboss should work.  can you attach you're .f3d file so we can see why it's not working for you? 

Message 6 of 7
etfrench

Here is a cylinder thin extruded to .01".  The text was debossed .005".  After converting it to a mesh, it can be combined with another mesh.

etfrench_0-1693334007591.png

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
gatech.tim2
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thanks for the model. It verifies that I was doing everything correctly.  The emboss seems to work in this sample file, but if I change the font to the one I need, it no longer works.  So there may be an issue with Trajan 3 font.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report