Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honeycomb hollow dome

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
4310 Views, 15 Replies

Honeycomb hollow dome

Hi there,

Quick design challenge/help! 

I've been trying to make a dome like this one :

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 2.41.58 pm.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-28 at 2.42.05 pm.png

The overall shape is quite easy to make with profile/revolve tool but when it comes to apply a honeycomb pattern I can't figure out how to make it! 

I've found a great reference on internet: 

- This guy made a cone with a hexagonal pattern but even with the explanation I can't see how he mades it. 

http://fab.cba.mit.edu/classes/863.15/section.Harvard/people/Negri/week03.htm

This is where I am so far but I'm stuck there! Should be another way to do it.

Here I can't align or create a second pattern perfectly aligned to the 1st one and create the honeycomb.

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 3.29.47 pm.png

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks  

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
etfrench
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 3 of 16
etfrench
in reply to: etfrench

The following image based on the referenced thread will show how to determine the size of each hexagon:

ConeHexagon.jpg

Create a plane (and sketch) between each of the points.  Draw the correct size hexagon on  each sketch.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you @etfrench for your help! I think that's the only way to do it properly!! 

Message 5 of 16
TrippyLighting

I had seen that thread with the honeycomb dome but never got around to it. Very elegant solution!

EESignature

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Hi there, may I ask why you choose that point in the bottom left to project from and what angles between the projected lines? many thanks

Charles

Message 7 of 16
davebYYPCU

That’s where the inner arc centre point is.  Connect the dots, use Measure tool to get the angle.

Might help....

Message 8 of 16
etfrench

The order of drawing this is:

1. Draw the desired profile (#1). (This determines the lower left point.)
  2. Draw an arc (#2) which is further from the equator and closer to the pole of the desired profile (#1). (This determines the lower left point.)
  3. Draw a circle coincident to the lowest point of the desired profile(#1) and tangent to arc #2.
  4. Continue drawing circles coincident to the desired profile at the intersection of the previous circle and tangent to arc #2.
  5. Draw construction lines from the arc #2 centerpoint to the intersections of step #4.  These give you the points along the profile (#1) to draw the hexagons.

No calculations were made.  Use dimensions and constraints to adjust sizes.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
etfrench

p.s. The distance between the profile #1 and arc #2 at the equator determines the size of the largest hexagon.  The distance at the pole determines the size of the smallest hexagon.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 10 of 16

Salut, personnelement je post ici car je n'est pas trouver de solution qui me convienne vraiment. J'utilise une solution de proportion avec un produit en croix. Je trace mon premier octogone en bas. Ensuite je trace deux segment de la hauteur de mon octogone. Cela me donne dans cet exemple un segment de 101,6 mm et le deuxieme de 100.202 mm. Ma hauteur d'octogone est de 16mm. Le calcul se fait donc comme ceci : 100,202mm x 100% / 101.6mm = 98,62% ========> 16mm x 98.62% / 100% = 15,77 mm. J'ai donc ma prochaine hauteur d'octogone.

Hi, I personally post here because I can't find a solution that really suits me. I use a proportion solution with a cross product. I draw my first octagon at the bottom. Then I draw two segments of the height of my octagon. This gives me in this example a segment of 101.6 mm and the second of 100.202 mm. My octagon height is 16mm. The calculation is therefore done like this: 100.202mm x 100% / 101.6mm = 98.62% ========> 16mm x 98.62% / 100% = 15.77 mm. So I have my next octagon height.

Message 11 of 16

Deepl.com translator:

Pouvez-vous joindre votre fichier Fusion 360 au fil de discussion ? (Dans le menu Fichier, sélectionnez Exporter, puis Archiver le fichier *.f3d)

Je ne comprends pas comment votre solution va s'appliquer à une sphère.

Can you attach your Fusion 360 file to the thread? (On the file menu, select Export, then Archive file *.f3d)

I don't understand how your solution will map to a sphere.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 12 of 16

Infact it is not a Dome, but a spline. This is what gives me problem. For the holes no problem. But even after 20 hours of work I cannot achieve the mesh I want. Here is the mesh in question : 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Lesaventuresdekazador

May I suggest we create an adaptive family component together in Revit! ?
Message 14 of 16
Lesaventuresdekazador

Any suggestion is good to take. Module I do not know this module

Message 15 of 16

Finally my proportion technique works well. It's just particularly complex and long to implement because in the end I only make a multitude of assembled octagon. What was particularly difficult for me was to make the pointed interior and exterior part of the octagon. Without it it was simple. However, I forgot to calculate the perimeter of my circle in order to have a perfect fit but it's really not visible for what I'm doing, only mathematically.

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Lesaventuresdekazador

thanks everyone 

Untitled_2020-Apr-22_12-42-20AM-000_CustomizedView39549509745_png.png

www.create.green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report