Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with designing serpentine pulley to 3d print

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
gregory.odom
447 Views, 11 Replies

Help with designing serpentine pulley to 3d print

Hi.  I'm pretty new to Fusino 360 and I can't figure out how to make the grooves for where the belt goes on a serpentine pully.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

serpentine pulley.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jeff_strater
in reply to: gregory.odom

there are lots of ways to do this, depending on where your design is currently.  You can use Revolve or Sweep to do one groove, and then Rectangular Pattern to make the copies.  Can you share your model here?

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 12
etfrench

Here's one way:

serpentinePulley.JPG

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
gregory.odom
in reply to: etfrench

This is kind of the direction I was thinking of going but I need the measurements to be exact and could not figure out how to do that with the line tool when making the "V" shapes for the grooves.

Message 5 of 12
etfrench

Do one of the following:

• Use the specification for the belt.
  • Cut a belt in two and use a scanner to get the cross section.
  • Trial and error.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 12

@gregory.odom wrote:

I need the measurements to be exact and could not figure out how to do that with the line tool when making the "V" shapes for the grooves.

This is done with driving Dimensions.

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file of your attempt to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Also a reference link to the belt or pulley dimensions would help.

Message 7 of 12

I probably did this the long way by just entering the measurements as I went. Lots of trial and error but I think I got what I am going for.  The last question I have is how can I get holes I made one the one side to the other side?

Thanks for are your help and advice. I defiantly helped point me in the right direction.

Serpentine Pulley v2.png

Message 8 of 12
etfrench

If you want them all the way through, just edit the hole feature and change the depth setting.  If you want the same depth holes on the other side of the pulley, then create a midplane on the pulley and mirror the hole feature.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
gregory.odom

Thank you all for your help.  I think I finally got what I was hoping for!  At first I wanted the holes to only go 10mm on each side leaving 5mm of material between them.  But then I thought it would be best to go all the way through as I am 3d Printing this project.

Serpentine Pulley v4.pngPottery Wheel Pulley.pngPottery Wheel Pulley2.png

Message 10 of 12
wersy

The grooves result in a significant overhang.
You will need to print with a large print width to print height ratio. I would say 4 : 1.5.
And first inside then outside perimeter.

Message 11 of 12
etfrench
in reply to: wersy

Consider splitting it in two then gluing it together after printing.  Print some square pegs to fit the holes in order to register the two halves and strengthen the glue joint.

serpentinePulley_2a.JPG

serpentinePulley_2b.JPG

The holes really aren't necessary when 3d printing, just adjust the infill for the strength needed.  If you want holes, make them rectangular or triangular.

p.s. How are you holding this on a shaft, keyway or setscrews?

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
gregory.odom

That is an interesting idea.  I don't think I would have thought of it.  I'm currently printing my original design now so we will see if it works or not.  The holes are only to save on filament material. 

If the current print does not work out I think I might try your suggestion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report