Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with creating a Mandolin top

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
PvdBos
982 Views, 26 Replies

Help with creating a Mandolin top

Hello, I want to create a Gibson junior Mandolin Top from 1920 The top is broken so I will make it by my self.

But I have some help with this.

I have create some lines so that I can fill it up with the patch tool but this will not working.

Am a hobbyist so for my it's a challenge

can someone help me with this!

I have my fusion file attached.

thanks

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27

I think for intended purpose that is a very nice way to model this!

No need to waste time to model perfect surface transitions, when the end product is going to be machined directly on a CNC machine and then sanded. 

EESignature

Message 22 of 27
PvdBos
in reply to: PvdBos

Thank you very very much for making of the Mandolin top. I can now create G-code for my CNC machine.

Message 23 of 27

Thanks Peter.  I certainly borrowed a lot from your techniques.  

No need to waste time to model perfect surface transitions, when the end product is going to be machined directly on a CNC machine and then sanded. 

It's close enough,  but I like to get the models as close as I can to the final product

Message 24 of 27
matthewrjacobs

I would double check everything before you start cutting wood.  I used an F5 Fretboard to help model the flat part. not sure if the FB width and scale length are the same for the A models,  but it's probably close enough.   

Also, do you plan to refine the top by hand, or are you going to just slap it back on the body.  if you are gong to hand finish, then what I gave you is probably OK.  if you are going to just glue it to the body you should probably refine the inside surfaces more. otherwise it will sound like poo.

Finally,  you'll need to make sure the FB projection at the bridge is correct, and adjust the body accordingly.  you'll have to look online for some specs, but my guess is ~3/4"

Good luck!

Message 25 of 27
PvdBos

final.jpg

 And the Mandolin top milled and looks almost the same as the original.
Thanks all.

Message 26 of 27
matthewrjacobs

Very Nice!  I'm glad it worked out for you. 

What species of Spruce?

Message 27 of 27
PvdBos

I don't know, it's to make for violin top but it's about more than 10 years old

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report