Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble modelling a complicated curved surface based on stl file.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Pahasave
359 Views, 5 Replies

Having trouble modelling a complicated curved surface based on stl file.

I have a 3d model of a tank turret that is in .skp format (sketchup) which I exported to stl, imported into f360 and converted to brep.

Yes there is a youtube video about creating the Fusion360 logo that I attempted to use but I keep running into errors (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD7HBFlIFMM   Fusion360 was unable to repair the errors no matter how I tried. )

Either way it's too complicated for that method above as the turret has asymmetrical curves and lots of odd angles

I thought of using F360 instead of meshmixer because after creating the basic shape, I need to hollow it, create some parts for it.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

a) Can you File -> Export and share your design

b) Can you create a STP / STEP file instead of the stl file? Might be easier to work with.

Message 3 of 6

@lichtzeichenanlage wrote:

b) Can you create a STP / STEP file instead of the stl file? Might be easier to work with.

AFAIK sketchup only exports triangulated meshes. Even if it exports a .step file it might be a mesh.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6

Ouch - didn't knew that. Thx for pointing it out.

Message 5 of 6

I can export it in dae or stl. that's all.

Message 6 of 6
etfrench
in reply to: Pahasave

You said you converted it to brep, so export your Fusion 360 file instead of the Sketchup file.  Export it from the file menu: File|Export|Archive file *.f3d

ETFrench

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report