Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having difficulty thickening a complex surface to create a solid object

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
dknellN7U3L
389 Views, 8 Replies

Having difficulty thickening a complex surface to create a solid object

Hello everyone,

First and foremost, I would like to preface that I am quite new to fusion 360 and 3D design altogether so I am sure that the way I went about creating this piece could have been done much better by someone with more experience and knowledge. That being said, after some struggling, I finally arrived at my target shape, dimensions and aesthetics.

My challenge is that I am unable to thicken the body to create a solid. I've read a few answers, but due to my inexperience, I am uncertain as how to proceed rectifying the issues. Please see the attached screenshots and file for review.

I appreciate all insight and advice that you are able to offer!

thank you,

Devin

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
davebYYPCU
in reply to: dknellN7U3L

To the inside / outside?

To what thickness?

Will check file later.

Message 3 of 9
dknellN7U3L
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I'd like the spoon bowl to thicken to the outside 1.5mm. The handle will need to be thicker, but I'll cross that bridge later. Thanks for taking a look.

Message 4 of 9
Warmingup1953

You've got your geometry pretty close but some errors will defy thickening. Perhaps utilise what you have as a reference and swap to Solid Modelling?Spoon.jpgspoon2.jpg

Message 5 of 9
dknellN7U3L

Thank you! I realize this is a broad subject that can't be easily answered on a forum. Could you please suggest the correct path to begin solid modeling this?

Message 6 of 9

I think starting with surface modeling is perfectly fine for this mode, but I'd clean up the workflow some.

For example if you are only lofting one half, there is no good reason to mirror the entire first sketch. It is complex enough without the mirroring 😉

That will make it easier to fully define it.

Other than that, I am not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve with this 4-sided loft, as I assume you want to fill the entire boundary. 

TrippyLighting_0-1715116579866.png

The sweep you are trying to fill that void with creates overlapping surfaces that you somehow manage to stitch, but which effectively prevent you from thickening!

You could have just lofted into a point. It's not ideal, but often works fine.

TrippyLighting_1-1715116712900.png

There is tangency missing at least at one transition in the spoon profile.

TrippyLighting_2-1715117041964.png

Again, develop sound sketching skills. 

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
dknellN7U3L

thanks for all the advice. How would I transition from a surface to solid modeling?

Message 8 of 9

Thickening is the way to go for this model, and it usually works fine if the lofts are OK 😉

The lofts usually rely on sketches being OK, so that is an area I would focus on. Simple, "clean," fully constrained, and dimensioned sketches. 

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
dknellN7U3L

Thanks everyone. I went back and started over to make sure the sketches were super dialed in. My biggest mistake was not using the intersect tool and projections to ensure perfect alignment. Everything went well afterwards. I am now exploring how I could have made this more efficiently as I am sure I went through a lot of unnecessary hoops to arrive at the final shape.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report