Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capture Design History off after import?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ddpedersen
1633 Views, 8 Replies

Capture Design History off after import?

Quick issue here.  I had imported a part and noticed there was not a timeline at the bottom.  I was importing it to recreate the part, however, after finishing the entire thing ran into editing issues.  I could not edit features after they were created.  I realized it was from the design history not being on.  I have it set to being on by default but found out later that it does not automatically turn on when parts are imported.  You have to right click in the browser and manually turn it on.  

I have to do a lot of importing, and I am afraid I will forget to enable Capture Design History and have to rework all the time.  Any suggestions on how to prevent / adjust my process?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jeff_strater
in reply to: ddpedersen

No, unfortunately, imported designs are always created as direct modeling designs.  You will just have to remember to turn on design history to get the timeline to be enabled, after you import.

Sorry not to have a better answer...

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 9
hreevs97AL9
in reply to: jeff_strater

Useless. You have to wonder if you start a sentence with "You'll just have to remember every time" whether the software should be changed.

Message 4 of 9
chrisplyler

I get that it would be nice to have it automatically be turned on...except for those people who WANT to continue direct modeling. Maybe a good compromise would be to have a preference setting for whether you want it to default on or off.

But I'm surprised you get very far before noticing. I would notice after the very first operation I performed without anything showing up at the bottom.

Message 5 of 9
v.pesic5RFAR

checking in to also complain about this exact thing. can't count on my hands how often i forgot to enable capture design history and had go start over because i couldn't reverse my actions

Message 6 of 9

You can complain all you want to, but it is off for good reasons.

1. Imported stuff often does not need a timeline . That keep file sizes roughly on third of designs with a timeline and reduces loading time.

2. Even if changes have to be performed on imported geometry, not all changes need to be parametric. Again, the goal is to keep the designs a "lightweight" as possible.

3. Defeaturing is better done before the timeline is enables. Otherwise it would clutter up the timeline unnecessarily.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9

Also in agreement. Would be nice to import a part then have capture design history on by default. 

Message 8 of 9
jacobGFSCW
in reply to: TrippyLighting

While your points are true, there are just as many workflows for imported geometry that require design history to be captured. An option to default either way upon import would make everyone happy.

Message 9 of 9

Joining the chorus to say, having an option to turn it on by default would be great, I don't really care about keeping it lightweight or reducing loading, I just hate when I forget to turn on the history and then can't undo stuff I have done easily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report