Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a problem with Combine.

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
fishtruk
2141 Views, 30 Replies

Having a problem with Combine.

Hello,

A prospective customer sent me an .stp file. One solid shape. I need to make a mold for this. The ejector pin has to be shaped as part of the finished item. I can't seem to do a boolean subtraction to get this new negative shape. I get an error saying I have to "check inputs with validate tool" and that edges can't be coincident.  I can't find this validate tool thru the help search. I don't know what kind of solid I have and don't know how to find out either...lost in space!

Is there a video of making molds somewhere I haven't looked?  There's one of Taylor Stein making chocolates but I need a video much more in line of the manufacturing process.  Thanks a ton!

Nelson 

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
karyeka
in reply to: fishtruk

Hi,

I don't think that error message is appropriate. I will find out more about that. We have validate surfaces in Patch workspace in Direct Modeling but that's not what the message is pointing to.

It would help to get your model to analyze the combine failure.

Can you upload the file or share the link or send it to me anand.karyekar@autodesk.com?

I will circle back on mold videos.

Regards,

Anand

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 3 of 31
Oceanconcepts

Are you sure this imported as a solid?  What is the icon for this shape in the browser? 

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz073.png

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 4 of 31
karyeka
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

I confirm that its an inappropriate error message. It's pointing to some debug tools. Apologies. We fill fix it (FUS-20542).

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 5 of 31
fishtruk

Thanks you guys!    Ocean, it's listed as a "body"    

Is there something I have to do to make it a solid when doing "new design from file"?

Message 6 of 31
HughesTooling

If you go to the patch workspace and select stitch then select the part any open areas should have a red edge. If there are unjoined surfaces pick to join. You should see something like this. You might need to make new surfaces if there are gaps. Can you upload the part or some screen shots.Capture.PNG

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 31
Oceanconcepts

Body is just a generic term in Fusion- bodies can be solid, sculpt, or surfaces. See the icon images in my post above.  

Often imported designs come in as surfaces and need to be “stitched” to make a solid, as per Mark’s post. When it comes to using tools it’s critical to know what sort of object you are dealing with. The kind of 3D boolean operations you want to do can only be done with a solid body.

- Ron

Message 8 of 31
fishtruk
in reply to: HughesTooling

Here's a screenshot

Message 9 of 31
HughesTooling

Combine does seem quite fussy, if an edge of the tool is on a surface of the Target Body it complains and gives a general modeling error.

This fails because the highlighted surfaces have edges that are on the top surface of the block, if I move the block up or down 0.10mm it works.

Capture1.PNG

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 31
fishtruk

I didn't see any red lines in Patch/Stitch

Message 11 of 31
HughesTooling

No the icon next to the body shows it's a solid. Does moving the pin allow it to work. Can you do a screen shot with the pin in position.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 12 of 31
fishtruk

Okay, here's the body. I extruded the exact midriff of this shape up to form an ejector in another cad program, saved it and opened in Fusion then tried to subtract to get the inside shape only only to get that error.

I did this because I didn't know an easy way to make a body from the boundary of a solid in Fusion.

I'm trying to get the ejector shape of the inside details of this part.  Do I have to make the ejector a larger size, do the "cut" then trim the resulting shape down?

I'm sure I'm the problem here, thanks for your patience.

Message 13 of 31
fishtruk

Here's the screenshot with the pin positioned for the "cut"

Message 14 of 31
HughesTooling

If i'm seeing that right you have a lot of collinear surfaces i don't think you'll get that to work. I think your only option is to go to the patch workspace and delete the surfaces you don't need then use what's left to split\trim the ejector pin.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 15 of 31
fishtruk
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks, gotta go home now. Maybe I'll try it at home. Good thing about Fusion...anywhere

Message 16 of 31
Oceanconcepts

You appear to have a solid (Body1), so the Patch/ Stitch tools would not apply. 

So to take this further, more information as to the final goal would be helpful- were you trying to boolean subtract this entire shape, or just a portion? Mark's comment about “overbuilding” shapes to be cut to rule out ambiguity is relevant. Maybe we can see what you were attempting when you had the failure? 

- Ron

Message 17 of 31
fishtruk

Howdy!

I'm home now, it's late and I'm still hacking.  I've included a screenshot showing better what's going on. I've put a cylinder in for the target body and trying to cut with the tool. It doesn't work. Errors out.

I've been told my tool body is truly a proper solid. How could I be sure. I've imported it from a customer and I don't know how it was created or saved.... if that's an issue.

Thanks and in the meantime I'll keep on chopping 😉

Message 18 of 31
Oceanconcepts

What you are doing there should work. What is the error message you get?  I’m wondering if there is some issue with ambiguity in some of the surfaces as they imported. Can you delete and replace any of the fillets? If you change the appearance to a translucent material, are there any hidden voids or surfaces? That is something I have seen cause problems. 

I would be happy to take a look and see if I can spot anything if it’s OK for you to send or post the file. Boolean tools in Fusion are pretty robust, in my experience, so it’s interesting that this is not working for you. Send me a PM with a link, or I can send you an email link privately.

- Ron

Message 19 of 31
HughesTooling

The part I used in my examples failed if an edge was on the top surface of the body I was trying to split, it looks like you might have the same problem.

Capture.PNG

As a quick test move the pin down a small amount and see if it will work then.

Also these areas don't look good, you have a coplaner surface and all the fillet edges that can cause problems.

Clipboard02.png

I think what I'd do is make a copy of the component go to the patch workspace, delete all the faces above the top face of the pin including the coplaner face. You should be able to use whats left to trim the top face of the pin, then stitch into a closed body.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 20 of 31

I think Mark is correct with his suggestions. It also looks possible (hard to tell from the image) that there is some discontinuity or an extra surface where the vertical side meets the large fillet at the bottom. Sometimes in the solid model space with Fusion it is possible to just select a surface or surfaces you don’t want, press delete, and have the body heal itself- it doesn’t always work, but often enough to try. 

Another approach would be to make a couple of intersection sketches to set the main dimensions and rebuild the part in the model workspace. I often do that with imported electronic components that don’t come in organized in the way I want. I think my approach might be to model the negative space in the part, then boolean it out of the larger rectangular shape. That might also result in a more editable part. 

- Ron

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report