Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guitar - where to place the origin(s)?

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
Fully_Defined
2143 Views, 44 Replies

Guitar - where to place the origin(s)?

I have been somewhat perplexed by this, and I wonder if someone here could help. I want to create a fully parametric model of an electric guitar, but there are so many open questions with no obvious answers!

I want to work out the nut/bridge/fretboard geometry, but I legitimately do not know where the datum reference planes should be. My gut assumption is that it should be top dead center on the bridge of a complete guitar, with the Z axis through an imaginary string, as if it was between the D and G strings. If that's the case, it opens up so many other questions, like if it should be in a slot or not, or if it should be compensated. That leads me to thinking it should be in the nut, but with similar questions.

A guitar neck has some natural give when under string tension, and this defines fret height among other things, but it can't be modeled under tension, because it would be useless for manufacturing. Whether the neck should be modeled straight or bowed, the relationship between the nut, bridge, fretboard and theoretical center string is an irregular quadrilateral, so it's not clear where the datum should be. Frets are three dimensional, so this also is a factor.

A few years ago I ventured into the online guitar plans world, assuming someone else has figured all of this out and shared, and I regret it. There are so many decorative illustrations out there masquerading as technical or engineering drawings that I got lost looking for the needle in the haystack. What seemed like the most promising, which I will not name here, was a dead end. Virtually the entirety of this genre is for selling router templates or router template plans, for home builders.

Looking for advice. I am assuming the engineering departments of Fender and the usual suspects, like Warmoth, have this geometry defined and it's probably common knowledge in this field. 

44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Fully_Defined

There are few moving parts of a guitar.

For each component, the origins are only relevant to that Component.

Use Symmetry and the Born technique for stability.

Fully parametric requires fully defined sketches, and for that to happen use tangent arcs and no splines.

Might help…..

Message 3 of 45
Fully_Defined
in reply to: davebYYPCU

@davebYYPCU wrote:

There are few moving parts of a guitar.

For each component, the origins are only relevant to that Component.

Use Symmetry and the Born technique for stability.

Fully parametric requires fully defined sketches, and for that to happen use tangent arcs and no splines.

Might help…..

These are genuinely good principles. For the purposes of my question, assume I am CAD literate.

In terms of each component's relationship to its own origin, yeah I guess that's true (that's true of all assemblies!) - but it doesn't really speak to my question, at least not directly. Take the scale length, for example - it involves the nut, the fretboard, the bridge and the angle between fretboard plane (if flat) and the string plane (they're not parallel!). Or does it? That's ultimately what I'm trying to figure out.

Again, I want to use a theoretical center string as the Z-axis and the top of its saddle as the X-axis, and define the rest of the geometry from that datum. I'm looking for confirmation or - better yet! - telling me why I'm wrong and explaining where the datum actually should be to define the geometry. There are valid reasons for putting it on the center of the fretboard at the nut, for example.

Message 4 of 45
davebYYPCU

I don’t make guitars, but have participated in some of the modelling guitar threads here (for Fusion).

If you want to use a groove in the Nut, so be it.  Decision made, create the guitar components.  

At the late stage of the file, the individual components (if not in place) are Jointed into position.

My point is to use Rule #1, each component has its own Origin.
i would not expect your suggested file Origin to be anywhere involved in the headboard.

Might help….

Message 5 of 45

@Fully_Defined 

1. Look for symmetry - left/right and/or top/bottom.

2. If you edit to make changes (all designs change) where do you want a rock solid point that doesn't change - a place you can use as reference for everything. (or most everything)

Attach image here of something from the real world that is similar to what you want to design.

(I'll assume I don't know what a Guitar is, as it doesn't really matter.)

Message 6 of 45
Fully_Defined

@davebYYPCU wrote:

I don’t make guitars, but have participated in some of the modelling guitar threads here (for Fusion).

If you want to use a groove in the Nut, so be it.  Decision made, create the guitar components.  

At the late stage of the file, the individual components (if not in place) are Jointed into position.

My point is to use Rule #1, each component has its own Origin.
i would not expect your suggested file Origin to be anywhere involved in the headboard.

Might help….

I don't make guitars either. Someday I'd like to!

Although I appreciate your replies, I think you misunderstood what I'm asking. I am definitely not asking for modeling or workflow help.

It's possible that I did not include enough information to present what I am actually asking here, but it boils down to "what is a guitar?" Just like in basic training (I still can't believe that was 22 years ago!), when I had to answer "what is an M16?": "Drill sergeant, the M16 is a 5.56mm, magazine fed, gas operated, air-cooled, semiautomatic or three-round burst, hand-held, shoulder-fired weapon!" My guitar has six strings, a 24-inch scale length (Fender Jaguar) and it looks cool. But to define it in CAD, I have to pick a point that everything else is defined from. It's not arbitrary!

I have never made a guitar, and I want to know some technical definitions before I attempt it.

Message 7 of 45

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@Fully_Defined 

you want a rock solid point that doesn't change - a place you can use as reference for everything. (or most everything)

Attach image here of something from the real world that is similar to what you want to design.

(I'll assume I don't know what a Guitar is, as it doesn't really matter.)

And that rock-solid point is exactly what I am looking for. I have attached a deliberately silly screenshot of a cross-section of the relevant geometry, which is a slice through the center of the neck.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 18.32.14.png

Message 8 of 45

@Fully_Defined wrote:

I have attached a deliberately silly screenshot ....

I am out. I deal with in logic.

Good luck on your design endeavors.

Message 9 of 45

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@Fully_Defined wrote:

I have attached a deliberately silly screenshot ....

I am out. I deal with in logic.

Good luck on your design endeavors.

Seriously?

The whole point of showing an irregular quadrilateral is because it is an irregular quadrilateral. I have simply exaggerated the shape for the sake of illustration.

I probably could have chosen better words, but it's not that serious. I notice that it looks suspiciously like it's in perspective, but really it's supposed to be as if I sawed through the fretboard.

Message 10 of 45
davebYYPCU

You put it where you need it.  

No point in my telling you to be dead centre bottom of the main body - because you are asking for input that does not mention the main body.  

using my logic, I am thinking the end face (symmetric centre) at the main body end of the fretboard, because scaling the fretboard is the most complicated section of the guitar.

File origin should take advantage of symmetry, centre of a mechanical face.  The centre of a nut groove is not going to bring much of that symmetry to the full model.  (Everything in side view is below it)

Might help….

Message 11 of 45

@Fully_Defined wrote:

Seriously?

Yes.

There are plenty of experts here who will help you out.

Message 12 of 45
Fully_Defined

@davebYYPCU wrote:

You put it where you need it.  

No point in my telling you to be dead centre bottom of the main body - because you are asking for input that does not mention the main body.  

using my logic, I am thinking the end face (symmetric centre) at the main body end of the fretboard, because scaling the fretboard is the most complicated section of the guitar.

File origin should take advantage of symmetry, centre of a mechanical face.  The centre of a nut groove is not going to bring much of that symmetry to the full model.  (Everything in side view is below it)

Might help….

At this point I'm not sure we're speaking the same language. I had to reread my comments and I now am even more sure I have said that 1) I am not a guitar expert, 2) I would like advice & 3) I definitely already know I need to use symmetry; I knew that going in and I am confused why you think I need to be convinced. Assume I am CAD literate!

But I have learned that you have a preference for placing datums on centers of faces, so that's something. This seems illogical on a guitar. When you look at a guitar, 99% of what you are looking at has nothing to do with defining its geometry or function. The shape of the body is totally irrelevant to where the nut lives in relation to the bridge. Similarly, the end of the fretboard is arbitrary. The 12th fret is uniquely important, but probably shouldn't be the origin.

I think this might be down to how the Fusion 360 community has settled on their workflows. I often find myself at odds with practices others swear by around here. I am natively a Solidworks user, but I want to stay connected to Fusion 360 because I think it is uniquely positioned as a place normal people go to for designing stuff (and 3DExperience is weird). I thought maybe I would try a guitar in Fusion 360 instead of Solidworks or NX, but I wanted to stop by the forum to ask a few basic questions before I jump in.

But we can't agree on what a guitar is. LOL.

Message 13 of 45

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@Fully_Defined wrote:

Seriously?

Yes.

There are plenty of experts here who will help you out.

Armchair experts.

Message 14 of 45
Fully_Defined

I think I have discovered some context to what you were talking about, putting the datum in the center of the back of the body. If accurate, then I can confirm that we are talking about completely different things. I found this here: https://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6

LP-milest-101017.gif

In my original post, I mentioned that most (if not all) of the online content around electric guitars and CAD is in router templates. Well, this is pretty much that.

I am definitely not asking about router templates or body shapes, and I can see how someone might have been confused, because that is literally the entire library of guitar CAD content on the internet, as far as I have been able to find.

To reiterate, I am interested in creating a parametric 3D guitar. I want to fully define the functional geometry based on scale length, and I have assumptions about where the origin should be, but I would like to hear from subject matter experts to support or debunk.

Message 15 of 45
Drewpan

Hi,

The good news is that I actually DO know a thing or two about guitars and I HAVE modeled or are modelling them in

Fusion. I feel your pain about how to go about it but now having done it and worked out a bunch of stuff I think I can

help.

I am in the process of modelling a 1953 Fender Telecaster. I have access to one and have got a whole bunch of

measurements and I am putting it all together. Here is what I have come up with so far.

I am using the Born technique basically as guitars are a bunch of interconnected parts. While I know exactly what

you are saying about various relationships, I think you are overthinking a couple of things.

The body I have modeled with the bottom of the guitar at the origin. While it is not the case with a telecaster that

it is symetrical, because it is not an offset neck then centre of the cutouts and the neck pocket will all be on the centre

line of the body. I considered extruding above and below the XY plane with the neck pocket being on the plane but

decided that all cutouts and routs would be relative to the top so I ended up extruding down. The shape I modeled

from an overhead photo with splines.

If I was doing something with a curved top then I would model the curve separately and join it to a normal extruded

body. I would keep the origin and probably extrude the body down and use the plane to cut through where the curved

top joins the rest.

I would recommend model ALL other parts on the origin using the Born technique as I did then use joints to put it

all together.

Starting with the neck. If you plan on CNC machining the entire neck then I would model it FLAT as this is what it will

be WHEN you install the Truss rod. The truss rod is there for this very reason, to remove the curve from the neck from

the tension of the strings. It will be almost impossible to design a neck with a curve as all timber will be different,

and it will not matter anyway because when set up it will be straight.

I was just modelling the guitar for practice, but if I was actually going to build it then I would design the neck and

fretboard as the neck assembly in two pieces. This way I would be modelling it the way I would be building it by

joining the fretboard to the neck with glue. In reality I would have to use clamps to get it to sit correctly before it

was installed and the truss rod adjusted. It will still be straight when set up, the curve of the fretboard will not

change and the string height will not change.

The fretboard should be easy as the fret distance is a mathematical relationship. You can set this up as a parameter

so you just enter 21 or 22 frets (in the case of Fender), make the top of the fretboard the correct radius and the

bottom flat to glue (join) onto the neck.

The Nut is just a big fret so cut the hole then model the nut separate to the fret wire for the frets. I would also

use the born technique and joints.

Tuning machines are a choice you will have to make. How realistic do you want your model? You can model the

open style like Waverly

Drewpan_0-1712026916301.png

Drewpan_1-1712027033196.png

or these closed or locking type. Your model so if you want open gears 18:1 ratios and such then model them as normal

Use the Born technique and origin and use joints to put them in the modeled holes of the neck.

Some detail is available on the net. Stewmac provided this drawing for a traditional tele "Ashtray Bridge".

Drewpan_2-1712027360447.png

There are a few of these type of things available. I usually get a drawing like the above and make my own model in

Fusion.

Some things you will not be able to model exactly. You can model springs in the bridge but getting them to work

as you adjust them is difficult and not worth the effort. Similar to winding the strings around the tuners. getting the

string to wind around the tuner as you turn the tuner is not worth the effort.

Some things in your model you can do, like have the strings pass through the ferrules in the body through the body

and then over the bridge to the nut then to the tuners, but getting it any more than looking right will be a challenge.

This is a great challenge to model, but just think about what CAN I model, WHY I might need to model things a certain

way then just sit down and go for it. I think you got a bit into overthinking things like the neck bends when not under

tension. Sure, you and I know that is what happens but the end result is it is straight when under tension and the

truss rod set correctly. The strings will be the correct distance above the fretboard if you model the nut, the bridge and

the neck to the correct radius.

Modelling pickups will always ever be a shape with some simulated wires. Everything else is straight forward, but

all of the distances and radii are just details you have to get right. You should be able to model most electric guitars

in fusion. Some will be harder than others but all could be taken to CNC level, even if ultimately some has to be hand

finished. Fender has a LOT of people who hand finish parts of their guitars in the factory, mainly because timber is

always different, even from the same tree.

Hope this has helped a bit. I am happy to give you more advice if you need it.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 16 of 45
Fully_Defined
in reply to: Drewpan

Wow! Thank you for that very thoughtful and detailed post!

As a possibly better illustration in context, in the screenshot below, I have placed a sketch in the YZ plane, which could be considered a slice through the neck centerline. The sketch line is representing a 24" string, and the construction line and plane represent the top of the fingerboard. Perpendicular from both ends of the string line are construction lines that represent the height of the nut and the height of the saddle, as offsets from the string line. Arbitrarily, one is 4mm and the other is 8mm, but they could be anything.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 21.08.00.png

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 20.58.39.png

This is only one of several scenarios and considerations. The datum could be on the twelfth fret, or the nut or even the junction between the nut and the fingerboard. In any case, the offset lines described above could (and maybe should?) be perpendicular to the fingerboard instead of the virtual center string.

The reason any of this matters is because I want to design the guitar without considering cosmetics at all, as a parametric object, whose aesthetic does not affect how it works. How it looks is literally the last thing on my mind at this stage of design. Manufacturability is also important, and I have a CNC router I special ordered from Avid that has just enough of a work envelope for any conceivable guitar component. It's a wide-shallow "Benchtop Pro" machine, which is not officially in their catalog. It lives in my apartment in San Francisco, which is nuts.

I might be totally wrong about my assumptions about guitar string fixture geometry. I might be defining a guitar wrong. I'm here to learn from those who know.

Message 17 of 45

Hi Mr Fully_Defined,

Where to put the Origin?

It is a Godly Question … but in CAD ( F360 ), it would be relatively easy to find the spot by the inheritance… although some additional personal deviations are allowed (but not recommended)

How to start:

1. Create a Guitar component in the Design Tab. It will inherit the Origin from Design Space.
  2. Spin some Jimi Hendrix vinyl.
  3. Close your eyes and dissect your Guitar into separate parts/components (possibly bodies)
  4. Create their respective empty components (in the Guitar's one). They all will inherit Guitar’s coordinate system.
  5. Start drawing/designing the guitar’s parts in the respective sub-components
  6. The Origin will be there already
  7. It should be an anchor point for your drawing/design
  8. In essence, you will be putting your design on the Origin, not vice versa
  9. As THE ORIGIN predates ALL THINGS
  10. Consider parts' geometries, symmetries and, in particular, the aspects of their placement during machining and assembly.
  11. Draw these geometries around the inherited Origin.
  12. Put/add additional features facilitating <10> like extra points, lines, Joint Origins, etc.
  13. Assemble Guitar’s subcomponents using <12>
  14. Machine parts
  15. Assemble the final product
  16. Tune it
  17. Spin some Jimi Hendrix vinyl
  18. And check how your Guitar sounds
  19. Don’t use LSD before …
  20. because you could break it.
  21. Hence you will be able to hang the Guitar on a wall
  22. And play for/with friends from time to time.

Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT
Message 18 of 45

@MichaelT_123 wrote:

Hi Mr Fully_Defined,

Where to put the Origin?

It is a Godly Question … but in CAD ( F360 ), it would be relatively easy to find the spot by the inheritance… although some additional personal deviations are allowed (but not recommended)

How to start:

1. Create a Guitar component in the Design Tab. It will inherit the Origin from Design Space.
  2. Spin some Jimi Hendrix vinyl.
  3. Close your eyes and dissect your Guitar into separate parts/components (possibly bodies)
  4. Create their respective empty components (in the Guitar's one). They all will inherit Guitar’s coordinate system.
  5. Start drawing/designing the guitar’s parts in the respective sub-components
  6. The Origin will be there already
  7. It should be an anchor point for your drawing/design
  8. In essence, you will be putting your design on the Origin, not vice versa
  9. As THE ORIGIN predates ALL THINGS
  10. Consider parts' geometries, symmetries and, in particular, the aspects of their placement during machining and assembly.
  11. Draw these geometries around the inherited Origin.
  12. Put/add additional features facilitating <10> like extra points, lines, Joint Origins, etc.
  13. Assemble Guitar’s subcomponents using <12>
  14. Machine parts
  15. Assemble the final product
  16. Tune it
  17. Spin some Jimi Hendrix vinyl
  18. And check how your Guitar sounds
  19. Don’t use LSD before …
  20. because you could break it.
  21. Hence you will be able to hang the Guitar on a wall
  22. And play for/with friends from time to time.

Regards

MichaelT

I like your vibe. For #19, how long before? #22 is the goal!

I will likely be doing this as a single component with bodies, since jointing in Fusion is not a thing I enjoy. Someday I would like to learn how to joint the right way in this application, since I prefer modeling parts separately, aka "bottom up".

I'm more of a Radiohead fan, but I like Hendrix too.

Message 19 of 45
davebYYPCU

I am not confused, I have modelled a guitar in Fusion, just don't know all the part labels, just most of them.

You asked for very specific information, and was answered, your logical choice with an eye for symmetry.

It seems to me you are stuck on the string alignment to fretboard and the curvy shaped (neck) under the fret board, and that it is not square or horizontal, so you are stuck.  My words.

Just as the Whispererer and now Drewpan have said, it does not mater what you model the process is the same, 

So the Body end of the fret board, is square and vertical in the one I modeled, 2 out of 3 origin planes were supplied for that logical location, doesn't suit you, so be it.

Warning, a parametric organic model of anything, is very advanced stuff.  Try scaling a spline of similar outline with parameters, so advanced I would not bother, and use a nice little workaround.

Lastly, your top view of the main body has a logical datum because all the measurements are related to it.

If you don't want that location as the file origin, so be it.

So re-inventing the wheel, is fine, but the outline is still a circle.

Might help....

Message 20 of 45
Drewpan

Hi,

I think you are still getting bogged down with detail without thinking about the design.

The guitar will be a finished assembly made of many parts that all fit together nicely. You can set up parameters for

all of them but ultimately it is still an assembly of parts. When you are designing each part they are independent of

any other part except for how they fit together. That is the only constraint you have. The body and the neck could look

like whatever you want, as long as the neck fits in the pocket of the body.

All of the parameters like fretboard radius and neck angle are things you have to keep track of, but if you have tracked

them properly and incorporated them correctly in the part then when you assemble everything most of these tracking

lines and everything will automagically be there already.

When we talk about Born techniques we are typically referring to designing each part independently on the origin and

the associated planes. That has no association with string length from the bridge to the nut until you assemble those

parts together. We design each part separately, they don't even need to be in the same design file, you could import

them.

What I am trying to say is that you don't need to worry about the 12th fret datum. When you have designed the

body with a pocket for the neck at the correct position, and you insert the neck with the frets in the right place and the

nut in the right place at the right height, and then position the bridge, the line from the bridge to the nut will pass

exactly over the 12th fret and it will be the same distance on either side.

You don't need to measure anything on the assembly because you used all of the parameters to design each

part and when you put them together they will be in exactly the right place.

This will work for anything you want to CNC because the code for the CNC is generated off the model. You don't

have to work stuff out because you put in the important numbers when you designed each part. The neck angle will be

whatever you told fusion it should be. When you put the neck into the pocket it will be exactly that angle.

What I strongly suggest you do is take a step back and spend your time on modeling each part accurately. Once you

have the parts, use joints to put them where they go. When you have all your parts in the right place THEN you can

worry about stuff like 12th fret datums. As long as you ground the body at the origin everything will just fall into place.

Cheers

Andrew

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report