Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Fusion or Slicer problem?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
skipb48
841 Views, 20 Replies

Fusion or Slicer problem?

Basic info - running Fusion 2.0.19426 x86_64 [Native] Active Plan: Personal on a iMac with macOS 14.5

I need to know if the problems I'm having are due to drawing errors in Fusion, or is the problem in my slicer settings.

The first picture I'm uploading (Rings) is the beginning of the print, as you can see the inner and outer edges do not attach .

I started my CAD drawing with the Sketch1 and extruded that to 2 mm, then in Sketch2 I create a second circle and extruded that to 99 mm (including the Join option). In Sketch3 I drew a third circle and extruded that -101 mm to make the hole. It all seemed pretty simple, drawing wise .

When it came to slicing, I did reconfigure my slicer to set the outer and inner walls, both to be 2 mm in order to stiffen up the final TPU product. But when it comes to the actual print the inner diameter, and the outer diameter are not attached to the infill. So, how did I screw up this time? šŸ˜³

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
g-andresen
in reply to: skipb48

Hi,

check your Brim settings

gĆ¼nther

Message 3 of 21
skipb48
in reply to: g-andresen

Thanks for the response. I'm assuming the brim settings you refer to are in the slicer software, I'm running a Creality Print slicer slicer Version 4.3.8. and I can't seem to find the brim settings in it. When I do figure out, where are those settings are what kind of changes do you suggest I make?

Message 4 of 21
g-andresen

Hi,

I suspect that the gaps you describe are gaps between the brim and the object.

gĆ¼nther

Message 5 of 21
skipb48
in reply to: g-andresen

Do you suppose the flange portion of the object is confusing the slicer thinking that is the brim? That outer ring is the correct size for the outside of the flange.

Message 6 of 21
Drewpan

Hi,

I would strongly suspect it is the slicer software not fusion causing the issues here. At first glance it seems that what

you are trying to print is relatively small with very tight tolerances. Fusion does this very well on a relative basic shape

as a bunch of circles and extrusions. 3D printers however are notorious for not coping well with tight tolerances,

precision due to shrinkage and other factors that distort prints. The average 3d printer prints with a tolerance of

0.2mm. You can get tighter tolerance than this with a smaller print nozzle but it takes way longer to print.

As with most 3d printing problems, the first place to start if you are having these kind of problems is a full calibration

cycle including bed leveling. Next you will probably need to play with the print temperatures to make sure that the

material is actually melting and sticking properly. Next would be some of the fine settings in the slicer software.

What actual infill setting were you using? There are many different types of infill, both patterns and percentages.

What happens if you pick 100% infill? What happens if you pick hexagons instead of cross hatch?

Have you checked when the pressure is released at the end of a printed line that can cause stringing if too late or not

actually connecting as the material runs out if too soon? All of this stuff is the finer, under the hood stuff that a slicer

can do but normally defaults work.

What happens if you pick a different slicer? I use Ultimaker Cura and it is great but there are other slicers out there.

Have you checked for slicer tweaks for your specific slicer and 3d printer models or variants?

While there is maybe a remote chance that fusion has done something, there are many other things to check first.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 7 of 21
etfrench

Start here.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 8 of 21
wersy

That is something I have no explanation for.
Please upload the G-Code file.

Message 9 of 21
skipb48

Thanks for the responses. I'm uploading the G code file as requested. With this version I reverted the Creality Print Slicer to the default settings and then in the Tool/Manage Printer/Extrusion 1/Outer Wall Line Width  option I set the value to 2mm, that is all that I changed. I am printing with TPU filiment on an Ender 3 S1 Pro.

Oops, the attachment choice did not accept my file, any Idea as to how I can provide that?

Message 10 of 21
skipb48

FYI - when I print with the default settings it comes out normally as it should, but that is too flimsy for my purpose.

Message 11 of 21
evanp4509U4JZ

I noticed the flange is only 2mm thick. With the wall thickness setting set to 2mm there might be a conflict within the slicer somehow. I don't know if you can select specific geometry in the slicer to have different wall thickness or what the slicer sees as "inner" and "outer" walls but my guess would be that the problem lies in the flange thickness to wall thickness relation.

Message 12 of 21
etfrench

You only need one sketch for this.  Simply draw all of the concentric circles then extrude the outer profile 2mm and the middle profile 101.1133 mm (measurement taken from your model).

Your slicer should have a setting for how much the infill should overlap perimeters. 

Here's what it would look like using SuperSlicer with 5 layers for perimeters as well as the top and bottom, and  31% Cubic infill.

etfrench_0-1717541729309.png

etfrench_1-1717541922852.png

If you are concerned about strength, then I would print the bottom 3 mm with solid infill. 

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 13 of 21
skipb48

Some really good suggestions. I never thought about the problem evanp pointed out, and I will certainly give his idea a try.

etfrench - I am not familiar with Super Slicer, maybe I should be, but I'm using Creality Print Slicer which apparently is some kind of clone of Cura. Looking at a close-up of the slicer graphic at the first layer it does not show a gap.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving the state for a short trip and won't be able to get back to trying all this for at least a week, I will post my results when I get back. Thanks everybody I really do appreciate the help.
Message 14 of 21
skipb48

I did finally solve the problem, well, actually, I didn't solve the problem rather I just found a work around. Rather than increase the outer wall and inner wall thickness, I simply increased the infill width. I will add JPEGs to what the settings were for this last effort case anybody has other ideas for me.

FYI, I have also download CURA and will delve into that. I'm still very curious as to why simply increasing the other wall and inner wall thicknesses caused the problem. I really do appreciate all the help I got from this forum as a newbie I still have a lot to learn.

Message 15 of 21
g-andresen

Hi,

Please add pictures to the text in the future.
This will make reading easier.

gandresen_0-1718719978227.png

gĆ¼nther

gĆ¼nther

Message 16 of 21
wersy

Printing 2 mm thick with a 0.4 mm nozzle is an unusual performance. I'd like to see the print.
In fact, that can't be a solution.
What is the setting for infill overlap?
Is your printer calibrated, does it really print the set print width?

Message 17 of 21
skipb48
in reply to: wersy

In the last change the infill line width is with 2.00 mm and initial layer line width 1 mm and that seemed to fix the problem. I am also printing a 20 mm calibration cube print to calibrate the printer  with the TPU filament. I haven't finished that process yet. Currently, my cube is about .40 mm too large on the X & Y dimensions. I'm not currently concerned with the Z dimension.

Message 18 of 21
etfrench

A cube is not the best way to calibrate size.  This one is a little better.  There are others.  The Ellis calibration guide has a good explanation of why a cube is not good.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 19 of 21
wersy

@skipb48  schrieb:

I am also printing a 20 mm calibration cube print to calibrate the printer  with the TPU filament.

I do not believe that (flexible) TPU is suitable for calibration.
Print a cuboid in spiral vase mode (0.4 mm) and measure whether the wall thickness is correct.

If this is correct, but the infill does not reach the wall, check which value is set for infill overlap. 25% is normal and should be enough.

If this is also correct, I would try a different slicer.

Message 20 of 21
skipb48

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report