Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 FEM simulation on your own computer

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
vesa.tiainen
503 Views, 11 Replies

Fusion 360 FEM simulation on your own computer

How can I still calculate FEM simulations on my own computer?

I have tried few simple simulation on cloud and they seem to take 2-3 times longer on cloud than my own computer so  why would I pay something that is slower than my own computer.

How fast does fusion do fem simulations on cloud?

My times so far about 4-6 minutes.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rhetths
in reply to: vesa.tiainen

I just experienced the same problem.

Message 3 of 12
vesa.tiainen

vesatiainen_0-1674212821174.png
To my eye the products have changed if I am not able to do same things as before meaning the simulation. I noticed you can now buy a simulation package. but on the other hand  as I understand it should still inlude in my legacy order made very long time ago.

Today tried to do simple one beam simulation and it had changed how things look. Now there was 100 credits appeared and it started the calculation without errors. Calculation costs 0 credits for me. But the biggest problems still is that it does in the cloud and is really slow like 4 minutes for simple calculation. With that time I could almost calculate it by hand.

Message 4 of 12

@vesa.tiainen 
Fusion is written to run on multiple Operating Systems.

To simplify going forward - analysis is done on the cloud.

Message 5 of 12
vesa.tiainen

4 minutes time is not a problem but bigger the simulation more time it takes. Previously one cycle with more parts was like few minutes and now it takes hours to finish. So I can not do my work nearly as fast as before.

I would be happy to run the old version which still worked. I have other programs for other purposes.

How does it work if you buy that simulation 1120 us dollars package on cloud or your computer?

Message 6 of 12
rhetths

I am finding cloud simulation slow.  I vaguely estimate cloud simulations i am doing on a project are 3 minutes longer than they would have been on local simulation.  I have been doing 10 or more simulations a day, so it is costing me something like 30 minutes of time per day.

Message 7 of 12
vesa.tiainen

Yes workflow is much slower and with last weeks updates even slower as you have to shut down and reboot to get next simulation done. If you are lucky it will do next round with newly started program. If not try as many times is needed.

So now its not just the slow cloud calculation in addition you have to play with the program up and down.

Message 8 of 12
rhetths

I achieved one simulation over 5 hours yesterday, and it's not working this morning either.  I start the solve and the cursor turns into an hourglass and then nothing happens, and clicking anything on the fusion screen doesn't work either.

Message 9 of 12
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: rhetths

@rhetths 

Can you File>Export an example *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 10 of 12
rhetths
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@rhetths 

Can you File>Export an example *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Often i am not keen to share IP, and we really need to get to the root cause of all the problems with Fusion these days, that being the developers or management.  I cant be expected to try to prop it up.  Almost every day, another flaw.

Some recent ones:

1. About 50% of the time i use ALIGN, it flips the component, and i have to flip it back.

2. Recently i copied and pasted a component into another file, and one aspect of the component changed.  I tried again, same thing.

3. Recently i found that when editing a solid (which was mirrored), i kept getting cut lines across the component.  I could get rid of some of the cut lines by using delete face, but then more cut lines would appear, so i would have to continue the process, and sometimes it would go on for six or more times before the component was either clean or uncleanable.

4.  Arrange is broken, as i mentioned in a thread i created.  This causes me hours of unnecessary work manually arranging things.

5. When i try to close the program, it tells me there are an ever growing list of unfinished jobs or downloads or uploads i don't know or care, each time i have to click pause jobs.

I am just getting started.

Message 11 of 12
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: rhetths

@rhetths wrote:

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@rhetths 

Often i am not keen to share IP

@rhetths 

So if  you create a dummy that doesn't have any proprietary information in an attempt to replicate the behavior - you cannot replicate the behavior?

Message 12 of 12
rhetths
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@rhetths wrote:

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@rhetths 

Often i am not keen to share IP

@rhetths 

So if  you create a dummy that doesn't have any proprietary information in an attempt to replicate the behavior - you cannot replicate the behavior?

I didn't say that at all.  I said the solution is to get to the root cause of the problems being created.

The Fusion management is hitting me twice, by stuffing the program i lose heaps of time, and by having to come here for some of the problems they have created it consumes even more time.  A double whammy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report