Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating issues with coil center snap on 3d sketch, sweep along path, circle and line fillet

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
emre_mutlu3679
668 Views, 16 Replies

Frustrating issues with coil center snap on 3d sketch, sweep along path, circle and line fillet

Hello eveyone, 

I'm new on 3d designs but i am good programmer also used a lot on 2d drawings and computer games since many years. Whenever i try to do something on Fusion 360 i feel like it's my first time on computer and i have to find a way to trick program while designing. This program acting like made to be 2d but upgraded for 3d designs. I'm trying to make propeller. Firstly i had many issues after drawing 3d sketch. Coil didn't snap center of circles and always focusing to snap the point where you started drawing 3d sketch. It doesn't sense where you draw the circle and snaps different plane direction. Another issue i had with sweep. I have pretty good frame. I'm following video. If i use half of his dimensions, It does fail. Sweep along path and guide lines must be tried thousand different way to make Fusion 360 to understand. Now stucked with another issue. I'm trying to fix since 3 hours. I drow circle and lines, program doesn't allow me fillet  intersection point between line and circle. I've tried to draw many different sketches still same. Yesterday another issue with sphere. Whenever i choosed center point, it didn't allow me move point in all edges. Only few edges moved while ruining the shape. Even on so cheap games, graphic design gives more freedom. Cmon i am just drawing easy circle and line. Am i that noob? I wish we had chance like click circle and choose "center point and drawing direction" option which is shouldn't be that difficult to add.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Drewpan
in reply to: emre_mutlu3679

Hi,

A propeller is a pretty ambitious project if you don't have a lot of experience. Fusion is a very different

way of thinking if you are used to 2D or "normal" CAD drafting software.

A few pointers to help you here.

The Forum works best if you give it a go, get stuck and ask a question. When you ask your question, try

to add a screenshot to show the problem and always attach the file. To attach the file you export it to

your local drive then attach it to the message by simply dragging it into the file box.

Drewpan_0-1696205391595.png

In terms of getting your head around the software, start with doing the tutorials in the Fusion Documentation,

they are quick and easy to follow and very good. Next, do the tutorials in the AutoDesk learning for Fusion and

a few tutorials from the AutoDesk Fusion YouTube pages.

Another great resource is @TheCADWhisperer has a YouTube channel with really good resources and tutorials.

He is one of the Gurus here and is quite happy to help along with @laughingcreek @TrippyLighting and

@davebYYPCU.

Finally, don't be afraid to search the forums for previous similar questions; be humble in any criticisms as

many of the people here mean well and want you to learn and so often point out mistakes you probably don't

even know you are doing; read Rule #1 and Rule #2.

I hope this has helped you out.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 3 of 17

I (we) feel your pain! At some point on the Fusion 360 learning path there is or rather are a number of Eureka moments. Propellors and 3D sketches are quite a way down that learning path. The parametric control and timeline-driven history aspects in Fusion 360 are the source of great power and initially significant pain!

Can you share the video you're following?......and perhaps a rephrase of one or two discreet questions we can assist with?

Message 4 of 17

@emre_mutlu3679 wrote:...Am i that noob? ...

after reading the problems your encountering, I would say probably.  some of the issues are probably due to unfamiliarity with how 3d cad works generally, and some with unfamiliarity how fusion works specifically.

you could export your model as a .f3d and post it here to get help

Message 5 of 17

Thank you for answers. I am searching a lot but problems caused by limited geometries and some buggy stuff in application. I've recorded video of the last issue which i was dealing with. I can ask for help but there are many which is similar and can be fixed if i try to find tricks. On video i've created same circle in 2 different methods. One is regular another one created by Center Point Arc. Both have same dimesions. Both circles. But regular one can't be fillet meanwhile other can be. I hope they will fix and add more drag and use geometry stuff with many faces. Yesterday i also spent my 3-4 hours about projecting some calligraphy. I thought that i was doing it wrong but when i changed the text shape, it did work.

Message 6 of 17

@emre_mutlu3679 wrote:.. Both circles....

no. one is a circle and one is made of arcs.  not sure why you would expect to be able to apply a fillet to a circle.  the fillet tool needs 2 sketch curves that come together at a point to function. you don't have that condition with a circle.

p.s. - as long as you have yellow errors in your timeline your chasing your tail.  those need to be fixed as they occur or you can see all sorts of odd behavior down stream as you continue building on cached geometry.

Message 7 of 17

What kind of answer is this? So if i print out on paper you will find which one is arc and circle? Also on there 2 different lines crossing the circle. So you are saying filleting circle mathematically impossible. Program works well i got it.

Message 8 of 17

If I may......I can't help but feel you are trying to use Fusion 360 in a way that is not "Usual". You want to design a boat propellor? In Fusion 360? Have you used Fusion 360 to design say a bolt, washer and nut?...or perhaps a table?...or a chair? Have you started your learning journey with a clean slate mentally, acknowledging that Fusion 360 is different from other software.....and have you followed a staged learning curriculum? At the very heart of any Fusion 360 design is the Sketch. More complex designs will need more than one...and they may (need to) be on more than one plane and they may even need to be 3D sketches...But the very foundation is the first 2D sketch. Can you stop for a moment and share with us a sketch ( alone) that you're having troubles with...forget the propellor or the bolt or the chair... for the moment... let's start with the sketch. Share what you have and explain the very first road block you have hit.

Message 9 of 17

@emre_mutlu3679 

Do you have a real interest in learning how to do all of this properly with techniques that would work identically in Fusion 360, Autodesk Inventor Professional, SolidWorks and Creo?

Message 10 of 17
g-andresen
in reply to: emre_mutlu3679

Hi,

If you are interested in a solution, share your design as a basis for targeted hints.

Please share the file.

File > export > save as f3d on local drive  > attach it to the post

günther

Message 11 of 17

Thank you, i've already completed propeller while after sending my post. Frustrating part not about learning or designing. When done with sketches i am learning blah blah text styles not supported for projecting, circle and line can't be fillet and more. App acting like try and see all parametrics, which is not buggy go in that way. It's like buying new violin but doesn't hold the tune and expecting you to use wax for pegs. I even saw a person was applying calligraphy on marble gravestone. He was almost done but on last sentence projecting wasn't allowing him with the same text style like previous sentences. Please try to create 3d sketch which starts with top view then create a circle on bottom then finish sketch. When you click edit on the circle which created on bottom camera view still goes top view instead of that plane. Such stuff acting like application still on beta stage. Even on tutorial videos i see that people trying few times to get results for loft and sweep etc.

Message 12 of 17

@emre_mutlu3679 wrote:

Thank you, i've already completed propeller.

@emre_mutlu3679 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

@emre_mutlu3679 wrote:

Frustrating part not about learning or designing.

I will wager that you could benefit from training.  Attach your file here and end all doubt.

@emre_mutlu3679 wrote:

Even on tutorial videos i see that people trying few times to get results for loft and sweep etc.

In my experience, most YouTube tutorials are rubbish done by inexperienced beginners.  Even Autodesk University uses work full of unresolved issues by inexperienced users in their mainstage presentation.

Let's tackle issues one-by-one.  Attach file with issue here.

Message 13 of 17

@emre_mutlu3679 wrote:

Firstly i had many issues after drawing 3d sketch. 

@emre_mutlu3679 

3D sketching of curves is done incorrectly by most beginners.

TheCADWhisperer_0-1696330676954.png

Often best way to create (and most importantly, edit/control) 3D sketches is via the intersection of 2D sketches.

Message 14 of 17

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@emre_mutlu3679 wrote:

Frustrating part not about learning or designing.

I will wager that you could benefit from training.  Attach your file here and end all doubt.

I will wager that is a useless attempt 😉 The OP has clearly shown that he's more interested in blaming the application, instead of how to lean how to adapt his modeling techniques to suit the application.

EESignature

Message 15 of 17

Yes this app perfect such as Starfield, No Man's Sky and Cyberpunk. Okay i will start learning from "how to click right mouse button on app when application is perfect" also differences between circle and 360 degree arc on 2d. Also you are best designer on earth.

Message 16 of 17

@emre_mutlu3679 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

This is a binary yes/no question.

Message 17 of 17

@emre_mutlu3679 wrote:

Yes this app perfect such as Starfield, No Man's Sky and Cyberpunk. Okay i will start learning from "how to click right mouse button on app when application is perfect" also differences between circle and 360 degree arc on 2d. Also you are best designer on earth.

It would have taken much less time to attach a model to a post then typing the above 😉

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report