Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From an architectural model (SketchUp/Vectorworks) to a solid body for 3D-printing

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
segaertjonas
136 Views, 5 Replies

From an architectural model (SketchUp/Vectorworks) to a solid body for 3D-printing

Hi all, 

One of my customers provided me with an architectural design of which they need a solid body 3D-printed to show volumes. The interior doesn't matter at all, they just want the outer shell to reflect the actual building. I'm at a loss on how to approach this or what the most convenient way of working is for something like this. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thank you in advance!

Files included:

STL- and OBJ-export from Vectorworks.

Zip-file contains the SketchUp file.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Why not simply open the .stl in your Slicer and 3D print?

Message 3 of 6

@Warmingup1953 wrote:

Why not simply open the .stl in your Slicer and 3D print?

It looks to me that part sf the model to not enclose a volume "watertight". There are infinitely thin surfaces that will have to be thickened.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6

This is the exact issue indeed. I guess I'll have to go back to the customer and ask to fix this, or redraw the thing in Fusion360 based on measuring performed on the SketchUp?

Message 5 of 6

I would take the .obj, import it into Blender and do all the work there. Much quicker than doing that in Fusion, although I believe this can also be done in Fusion.

If you really want to 3D print this as one solid volume, there is a lot more work involved.

I would avoid working with the .stl at all cost.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
g-andresen
in reply to: segaertjonas

Hi,

Just a side note:
It is important that you remove elements that are not printable after scaling (factor 100) before scaling.

Günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report