Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Female NPT thread

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4028 Views, 5 Replies

Female NPT thread

Hello!

I am trying to attach a Female NPT 1/8'' 27 TPI connection on my custom part for attachment of a check valve. I saw that NPT is not an option in Fusion 360. I was trying to use BSP Thread but on a Loft to account for the 1/16'' tapering per inch. Is there any better way to incorporate a Female NPT thread into a design? Additionally, Fusion does not allow me to select the interior of a loft for thread creation. 

Any advise? 

See attachment for the CAD of the part I want to attach and the part I am designing. 

Thanks

Maggie

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JamieGilchrist
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Maggie,

i would use your coupler, assembled/postioned to your elbow and use the combine tool to cut the treads.  Partly this is dependent on what your expectation of output is.  are you 3D printing this? 

Another method would be to grab a part from McMaster-Carr with the NPT threads already in place and modify the geometry to what you need. Unless there is something very specific about the geometry of lofted elbow you created that the standard part won't work for, that's what I would likely do.  

Also threads can only be applied to cylindrical shapes and not to conical ones.

hope this helps,

Jamie Gilchrist
Senior Principal Experience Designer
Message 3 of 6
alexrose4088

I'm just finding the same thing.  It's kinda strange that I can do every kind of threads under the sun except for NPT.  If Autodesk were a Japanese or German company, that might make more sense.  Please add the "National" Pipe Thread of your home country to the thread choices ASAP.

Message 4 of 6
seanwalinga

2024 and still no NPT pipe threads. Doesn't make sense.  People have been asking for more than a decade for the NPT thread. 

Message 5 of 6
jpr73350

I have already use the NPT thread in Fusion 360

Hole > Taper Tapped >  two types of NPT Type

Normal NPT

NPT for PVC Pipe and Fitings

In fact the male NPT is not exiting

Message 6 of 6
seanwalinga

The NPT option on the hole function has very little benefit. It doesn't model with the design, meaning it doesn't work for 3D prints and it doesn't work when creating molds for injection molding. It only provides a note on the drawings.

I have discovered that NPT threads are conical, not cylindrical. This seems to be very tough for Fusion to handle.

I've been starting to use the "Coil" function and custom building NPT threads. You can get the conical feature by adding an angle to the coil (which is calculated on thread length and different diameters). It has been tough but it's possible. This website will give you the info (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread) and remember to use the "half angle" when applying to the coil.

Such an irritation for something that should just be there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report