Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F360 Workflow for Cabinet Parametric Design

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
982 Views, 8 Replies

F360 Workflow for Cabinet Parametric Design

New user here... I am trying to design a very simple cabinet with a face frame. My objective is to have a design that is adjustable based on the size needed and BOM cut list. Most YouTube videos do not address the frame style cabinet so my confusion centers around the use of bodies, components and assemblies when building the frame.

First, i have created user parameters for every possible piece of wood i would need to cut. Second, the basic construction is 2 sides, a back and a top, 4 pieces derived from the user parameters.  I assuming they should each be a separate component.  The confusion is in constructing the front frame. It consists of a top, bottom, left and right side. Their dimensions are also driven by parameters. Those pieces need to be components because bodies do not show up in a BOM. Should there be one component for each piece? How do you group the components? Should they stand alone? should they be sub components under a master component?  Should they be grouped together under a an assembly? If i decide to design a second frame for the cabinet, would those pieces appear under a second  assembly?

Thanks for any help 

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
g-andresen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

try it this way:

orga.png

günther

Message 3 of 9
g-andresen

Hi,

have you looked at Joiner CAD yet?

günther

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Thank you for the example.  FYI, I did look at Joiner CAD however it is more software than i need as a hobbyist.

Message 5 of 9
g-andresen

Hi,

What I mean is the cut list functionality.

günther

Message 6 of 9
mawilsonWCR

Should there be one component for each piece? Yes. To get a good parts list, treat each piece of wood as a component. You can create just one stile and one rail then use copy/paste, mirror or pattern as needed. 

How do you group the components? Create a new component and drag the member components into it. That creates an sub-assembly under the active component. I suggest you do that only under the top level to keep things sane.

Should they stand alone? should they be sub components under a master component?  Should they be grouped together under a an assembly? Use the semantics of the cabinet as a guide. A base cabinet has a carcase, (optional) face frame, (optional) drawers, (optional) doors, and (optional) shelves. Other than shelves and sometimes doors, those main parts are assemblies or, more accurately sub-assemblies thus their components would be in a container component.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mawilsonWCR

Thank you!  Your explanation makes sense.  My background is in IT implementing manufacturing systems and your example sounds a lot like a bill of material hierarchical structure.

Message 8 of 9
g-andresen

Hi,

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!  Your explanation makes sense.  My background is in IT implementing manufacturing systems and your example sounds a lot like a bill of material hierarchical structure.

...just like #2 

günther

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Yes, it is and once again thank you for your contribution

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums