Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing a spline in fusion 360

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
patrickZ24NR
624 Views, 9 Replies

Drawing a spline in fusion 360

I am trying to draw a 13T- 30 Deg PA--16/32 DP on fusion 360 and struggling on how to do it. Has anyone ever done involuted splines before? Attached is the part of the print I am referring to. If anyone could guide me like a 5 year old on this it would be appreciated ufacturing  greatly. 

IMG_2930.JPG

Labels (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: patrickZ24NR

If you look on the Fusion app store there are many gear creator app.

https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/List/Search?isAppSearch=True&searchboxstore=FUSION&facet=&collec... 

Then you just plug in your numbers and it will generate a gear(spline) for you.

I tried with my gear app but the 16/32 DP doesn't make sense and gives an actual DP of 0.5 which makes a massive gear(26in pitch dia)
Screenshot 2023-04-25 140304.png

Message 3 of 10
patrickZ24NR
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Yeah I did that same thing and got that massive gear. No idea why. The print is from the people that currently make it. I have the part in my hand. Not sure what I need to do to get this drawn. 

Message 4 of 10
a.laasW8M6T

Questions is, do you actually need it modeled accurately to machine it?

Like how are you going to machine the splines? If you were surface milling the form with say a ball nose you would need it to be accurate, but I don't see that being effective on such a a small spline.

otherwise for a form tool you could just have a crude visualization as long as you drive the tool to the correct base circle dia.

I suggest you maybe ask this question in the design forum as those guys are much better at modeling type questions.

Message 5 of 10
patrickZ24NR
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Yeah that’s what I thought too. I have a form tool and sketched in the lines where the center point should be. I’d think if I just follow that line and wear it in and out I’d be okay?
Message 6 of 10

A quick search shows 16/32 DP is valid for splines. Don't know how the diameters are calculated but obviously not the same as gears!

There's some talk on this forum and a link to some software here from  Gearotic Motion. Couldn't figure out cost for the software or where to buy?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10

@HughesTooling wrote:

There's some talk on this forum and a link to some software ...

@patrickZ24NR 

I would use Autodesk Inventor Professional to create this geometry...

TheCADWhisperer_0-1682507110377.png

Inventor 2023 Help | Involute Spline Generator dialog box - Design tab | Autodesk

Message 8 of 10

Didn't even know this was an option. I will look into it. I do very minimal spline work 

Message 9 of 10

okay I have it downloaded. How do I find those tabs you referenced? I have never used Inventor before 

Message 10 of 10
patrickZ24NR

I'm currently using the free trial. I have the spline drawn on Inventor but need to upload it to Fusion 360. Is there a way to do that? I only need one spline and can't see myself spending money on Inventor if I only need it once. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report