Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning Drawings

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1123 Views, 14 Replies

Dimensioning Drawings

I'm having trouble getting off the ground when it comes to adding dimensions to my 2D drawings of my parts. This is something I'm used to breezing through in Solidworks, but I am forcing myself to learn it in Fusion since I need/want to 'jump ship'.

I've reviewed similar posts that had trouble with adding dimensions, but the explanations in those threads confuse me more than help. I figured no harm in asking for an explanation that applies to my situation. What about my object doesn't allow the program to 'see' the edges I'm interested in snapping to, in order to create a dimension? Is it because they are all technically radial surfaces? If so, how the heck do I go about this? I saw mention of a work-around with named views, but do no understand the explanations in those threads. Do I need to change the drawing views I am using to attempt to dimension off of?

Base object, a shaftBase object, a shaft

Barely able to get 2 dimensions out of this!Barely able to get 2 dimensions out of this!

Intended level of dimensioning neededIntended level of dimensioning needed

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

please post your file

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Sure thing, please let me know if this is sufficient:

Drawing:

https://a360.co/2w5aJCx

Base Part:

https://a360.co/2rgu3ax

Message 4 of 15
DDMFGCOINC

Can you explain what you are doing? I've dimensioned a drive shaft that was not too different from the one you are dimensioning within the last few days and did not have any issue.

Are you selecting points or surfaces? 

The only thing you may find is that, currently, F360 does not recognize a cylinder in profile. You will have to manually add the Ø before your diametric dimensions that are shown in profile. An end view of a circle (or cylinder, cone, etc.) will display Ø before your dimensions.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

@Anonymous

Thanks.

I have the same problems in your drawing.

Created a new drawing from your model -> no problem (so if you need a quick workaround, create a new one).

I will try to find out what´s wrong in your drawing. Maybe a bug or corrupted file?

Message 6 of 15
cmiller66

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting the file, I too could reproduce the problem in your drawing but not in a new drawing.  Can you try creating a new drawing and see if that works for you?

In the meantime I will log a bug in our system and get your file attached so the developer can take a look.  For some reason the views in this drawing appear to have some corruption, that is clearly a bug, nothing you did.

Thank you for reporting this problem.

Chris

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: DDMFGCOINC

Sure thing David, will try:

So, when I add my first view to the fresh (blank) 2D drawing canvas, I choose a front view, scale it 1:1 (in this case), and set it in the middle of the 2D space.

My first intention is to add length dimensions for this piece of drill rod (or SS) that I'm going to want them to make the shaft out of.

When I try to add (any) type of dimension that will, say, show the overall length of the shaft, I cannot get any of the dimension types to snap to the edges of the shaft.

Message 8 of 15
DDMFGCOINC

@Anonymous

That's strange.  Given that @Anonymous and @cmiller66 both had the same problem with your original drawing I won't even both to guess what's going on.

Curiously, if you create a new drawing do you get the same error? Is this the only part that this has happened on (does it happen if you model a different part and start a drawing fresh)?

Good luck, hopefully AD will get it sorted for you!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: DDMFGCOINC

Thank you all for looking. I believe my newly created template from yesterday was corrupt, as I was having the same problem with the second part I tried to dimension as well. I started a new drawing from a fresh (null) template and all is (so-far) well. 

Message 10 of 15
cmiller66

Hi Jim,

Could you please post that template file too?  Did you use placeholder views?  If we can reproduce the problem from scratch (new drawing from template=bad, new drawing from scratch= good) it will help a lot in tracking the root cause of this down.

Thanks,
Chris

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: cmiller66

Ack I'm very sorry, I would've loved to be able to share it but I deleted it from my folder the minute we concluded it was corrupted. If you're able to see behind the scenes of my folder feel free to fetch it, but from my end it is not recoverable.

Message 12 of 15
cmiller66

Hi Jim,

No problem.  If you do see this creep up again though, please let me (christopher.miller@autodesk.com) know, or post to the forum.

Just wondering, did the template include any customizations or placeholder views or was it confined to the image in the titleblock?

Thanks,
Chris

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks Chris, will do.

While it's fresh in my mind from yesterday:

I wanted to create a drawing template for the very first time in Fusion yesterday afternoon. 

I started with an ASME 11x17 (B) run of the mill drawing with title block.

I added usual company information, address, etc, as well as a logo.

Of note, the only other element I added was a revision block. I had quite a bit of trouble attempting to re-size the column width once the initial table was placed. Only mentioning in case that's a hint that the table was the source of the corruption. I found that aspect of it (editing the freshly plopped down table) pretty counter-intuitive with regard to how many times I had to attempt to click on different areas of the table in order to be offered different snap points to (hopefully) re-size the columns. I gave up after a minute of clicking around and moved on. 

Message 14 of 15
cmiller66

Hi Jim,

Just a follow up on your comment about table editing (grip-stretching overall table and column width).  The best way to do this is to select the table by clicking on any edge, then manipulate the table and column widths using the grips at the top of each column (where they meet the header row).  From your description I'm guessing you were clicked into a cell and were adjusting that way (it won't behave the same way).  Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Chris

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks Chris, this does help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report