Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designing Removable Hinge on Box for 3D-Printing?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
harrison.friedes
271 Views, 3 Replies

Designing Removable Hinge on Box for 3D-Printing?

I've 3D printed boxes with a print in place hinge before and it works great, but I have a feeling I'll want to iterate on the lid a lot in this design, and so am trying to figure out a design where I can remove and replace the lid from the hinge.

At first I was thinking I could 3D print an axle with a thread at the end, but realized the threads would mean it wouldn't be able to rotate.
harrisonfriedes_0-1716378404905.png

Any ideas what I could do instead?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Do you want it easily removable just for development purposes, and transition to a more permanent solution once the design is finalized? How about just using a clevis pin w/ cotter key for development?

bwalker145_0-1716381078882.png

Could also potentially do a partial-hinge that allows you to "snap" the lid on and off of the rod.

bwalker145_1-1716381367167.png

Message 3 of 4

Really interesting, thanks! I plan to use and iterate on this indefinitely (~6 months), so for all intents and purposes it would be great if I could get it as close to being a permanent solution as possible. 

Message 4 of 4

Looks like I'm trying to get something like the Screw Post Fit done, but so far I've found it very difficult to get offsets for clearance and threads to work well together. If anyone has any tips on how to do this I'd greatly appreciate it!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8VVN6D4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report