Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change an assembly back to a part?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
simspacetn
405 Views, 9 Replies

Change an assembly back to a part?

Is there a way to change an assembly back to a part without losing the timeline history, sketches, etc.?  I'm going through a CAD training course and they keep rejecting my project because it's an assembly and not a part.  I'd like to avoid redoing the entire design if possible. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
g-andresen
in reply to: simspacetn

Hi,

try this:

Note: If you remove the remaining (empty) component with "Remove", you retain the links to other features, unlike with "Delete".

günther

Message 3 of 10
TrippyLighting

No, that doesn't make any sense!

Please provide a bit more detail so we can untangle what you/they really need.

For example, can you provide more detail about the course you are participating in?

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
simspacetn
in reply to: TrippyLighting

@TrippyLighting it's the Titan 4M part. 

They rejected my CAD submission and all they said was ...

"Cannot compare an assembly. Please submit a PART."
This is my CAD file: https://a360.co/3wLzELx

Message 5 of 10
simspacetn
in reply to: g-andresen

@g-andresen thanks for the video!
I will give that a try and resubmit the part and see what happens.

Message 6 of 10
jhackney1972

If you open your assembly, right click on the one Component and then choose Save Copy As you can save the single component to a folder of your choice in the Cloud.  You can then open it and Export it to your local drive.  I assume a single component with Bodies and Sketches in tact will do.  Your model using this method is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 7 of 10
TrippyLighting

If you follow @jhackney1972's advice you'll get what you need. Please accept his post as the solution.

If you are creating a single contiguous 3D model, then there is no need to create that extra component "layer".

That is only needed when you are designing  an assembly of several discrete parts.

In that case you can derive a component from an assembly into it's own file in the data panel.

That will allow you to do all the CAM work into that derived file and keeps the assembly clean. However changes you make to the component in the assembly file will be reflected in the derived part(component).

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
simspacetn
in reply to: jhackney1972

@jhackney1972, thank you. I am giving that a try right now.

Message 9 of 10
simspacetn
in reply to: jhackney1972

@jhackney1972 thanks, that worked great!

When I right-clicked on the component, there was no "Save Copy As" option in the context menu. So I chose the "Export" option which has an "Export to my computer" check box. That worked great. It exported it directly to the folder of my choice.

Interestingly, it turns out that at that time (about 5:45 pm CST) there was an F360 outage which apparently prevents the "Save Copy As" option from being visible in the context menu (which makes sense). Now that the outage is resolved the "Save Copy As" option is back. But I learned you can "Export" directly to a folder on the computer with the same results.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Message 10 of 10
simspacetn
in reply to: TrippyLighting

@TrippyLighting wrote:

... you can derive a component from an assembly into it's own file in the data panel.

That will allow you to do all the CAM work into that derived file and keeps the assembly clean.
However changes you make to the component in the assembly file will be reflected in the derived part (component).

Now that is slick! I had no idea that could be done. Thanks for expounding on the solution to my question. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report