Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete old versions of a design

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
rpagewood
6928 Views, 17 Replies

Delete old versions of a design

since the most recent update I have a design with old versions that are referencing (linked) a part that is now redundant. The most recent version of the design doesn't use the linked part. I am not able to delete the part for the project because it is still referenced in old version of the design.

What can I do? It's really annoying having the redundent part sitting there when it's not necessary.

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
NicolasXu
in reply to: rpagewood

Hi rpagewood,

Thanks for asking. It’s a current limitation that we cannot delete a part which was inserted. I have forwarded your case to the development team for how to improve it.

Meanwhile, because such parts can be moved to other folders inside the same project, you may create a “Recycle Bin” folder under the same project and move the part to that folder. I know it’s not a perfect solution but hope it can make the file list clean. 🙂

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: NicolasXu

Yeah, this is a surprising problem to have. I know it's just an aesthetic issue, but it's really annoying. And it seems like Fusion360 has a lot of these "limitations" for things that should be no-brainers. Salesmen keep telling me that Fusion360 isn't a "lite" CAD, but things like this make me really doubt that. 

Message 4 of 18
NicolasXu
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Brainchild_Engineering,

Thanks for your feedback to Fusion 360 and welcome to the community!

The reason why we need to keep the referenced design even though the latest version of the top-level design is no longer referring to it is because we may promote older versions of the design to be the current version, so then the referenced design would again be needed. I have forwarded your feedback to the development team and see how we can improve it.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 18
ThomasAEI

I agree with the original post. It looks like a year has passed since the post - is there a workaround for this yet?

Message 6 of 18
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: ThomasAEI

@ThomasAEI

There is a work around but it comes at a price. You can do a file save as and give it a new name which will not carry over all the old revisions thus allowing you to remove the old references.

The price is you will lose all previous revisions. You will however keep all history and parametrics in the new file for the current design. After you save as the new file the old one with all links and revisions can be deleted.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 7 of 18
ningman

Is this issue fixed yet?  If so, how do you delete old versions and formerly used components that you no longer plan to use?

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

So is this issue going to be addressed?  A final design should be cleaned up and pointing to the latest versions.  Having multiple copies of unused version is just poor project management practices.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

I really appreciate the automatic version control. However, it can cause wasted time more than it solves problems.

Case 1

I often toggle visibility to see what state something is in. I would then get prompted to save before closing and I would do it. Now, when I need to go back and find something in an older version, it takes me a very long time to find the version needed. If I could delete these "no change" saves, I could better find what I need.

Case 2

You cannot edit/create the description after the save. Because of this I have to keep a separate document of notes about what the flaws of old versions were. I should be able to update the description.

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

So will there ever be a point were you can delete versions at a point and back? IE. I'm on version 18 of a design, I know i'm never going to go back past version 5, so I would like to kill version 5 back (v5, v4, v3, v2, and v1 can all go). This would allow me to delete referenced files that would never be used again. Just a thought. 

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Please let us clean old versions never to be used again. I have files that i cannot delete due to this, and cleaning it manually will destroy all the work I´ve done after the version linking the file I want to delete. 

Even more difficult if the file using the linked old file I want to delete is used in another file, it is practically impossible to work around too. 

Give me control over MY files - even though they are in "the cloud" please. 

Message 12 of 18
autodesk66T9S

This is completely ridiculous.
There is no question about this. We want to delete and that is our right. We pay for this ****.

Autodesk you must add the ability to delete past designs and therefore old stale references.

Meanwhile, our design browsers are just landfills.

Message 13 of 18
jhackney1972

Take a look at the Blog Article and Video and give it a try.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 18
owens.ca16
in reply to: jhackney1972

Didn't work for me. The archive is deleted but the "Erase Me" folder still exists in Fusion 360 with all of the files that still can not be deleted.

Message 15 of 18
jhackney1972
in reply to: owens.ca16

Did you refresh your Data Panel in Fusion 360 after the Archived Folder was deleted?  Can you open any of the files showing in the folder?

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 18
owens.ca16
in reply to: jhackney1972

When I created the archive the original folder still existed and I was able to open the files even after the archive was deleted. Yes I refreshed the panel and even restarted Fusion 360.

I just tried this again and it worked ok. This time when I created the archive the original folder was removed.

Message 17 of 18
hagoh
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Maaaan So thanks 😄
I spend hour to find file when it;s used. It was in previous version of other file i found using versions history with time data. I was so frustrated when i realised I can't delete previous version. You saved me, thanks again
Message 18 of 18
nmitsovski
in reply to: ThomasAEI

I have the same problem, it`s not fixed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report