Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define parameters on the fly in sketch dimension

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Olle_Eriksson
1883 Views, 12 Replies

Define parameters on the fly in sketch dimension

I am a big fan of the new August update! How long have we been waiting for that emboss function? Does anyone know if there is a way to promote the parameters defined on the fly in sketch dimension to the "user parameters" instead of under "model parameters"? It is alot easier to edit a parametric model using the user parameters than having to go in to each feature under the model parameter to change them.

Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

no, there is no way to promote sketch parameters to be user parameters.  However, you can mark them as "favorites" using the star icon, which will bump them up to the "Favorites" section of the parameter dialog:

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 12.46.29 PM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 13

@jeff_strater -It would be nice if the parameter was automatically "Favorited".  For me, the isn't much use in naming the parameter if I don't intend to use it somewhere else.  currently we have to either magically remember it, or hunt it down in the parameter list and favorite it manually, so it will appear in the drop down box showing available parameters for entry.  easy for a small design, time consuming for a large one.  by the time I do that I might as well just make one from scratch in the parameter list.  would be faster. 

Message 4 of 13

Thanks for your reply Jeff! That is definitely helpful to create an overview of parameters driving the design for easy editing. Ideally I would like to be able to promote the parameters I define in the sketch dimension to favorite or user parameters to save more time. Being able to name the dimensions in the sketch dimension tool still speeds up the use of parameters as one is not jumping back and forth between sketching and modify parameters, it just seems it could be made even more time saving.

Message 5 of 13

@laughingcreek - we did discuss this recently.  Perhaps it does make sense to mark these as favorites when you rename them.  That could lead to a LOT of favorites in some cases, but it is worth investigating, I agree.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 6 of 13
bentwookie
in reply to: jeff_strater

As someone who also entered this into Idea Station I was thrilled to see the update! However, until I read this post, it didn't look like it was even working. I didn't think to turn down the model parameters triangle. Definitely consider moving them to Favorites automatically. As it stands, they're hard to edit and they don't seem to autocomplete in entry fields.

Thanks for listening! 

Message 7 of 13

The not populating as auto-fill and being work to hunt down for future updates to the parameter value kind of defeats the intent.  Please refine this functionality

Message 8 of 13

The input box could do with radio buttons for Create User Parameter and Favorite. 

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
bentwookie
in reply to: HughesTooling

Agreed. While we're bring the entry box into the 21st century, how about it grows longer than 32 pixels when you type an expression into it 😉

Message 10 of 13
ritste20
in reply to: HughesTooling

This goes back to another thread, but they need to add this functionality to driven dimensions as well.

What is the point of driven dimensions if you can't refer to them elsewhere?

Regards,

Steve Ritter
Manufacturing Engineer

AutoCAD/Draftsight
Inventor/Solidworks
Fusion 360
Message 11 of 13

In a separate thread another user suggested using a script/addin to automatically add named parameters to the favorites tab as we discussed here. @prainsberry  wipped up a script to do this. It works really well. You can have it run in the background and automatically add any named parameters. It will add all user named parameters that are not named "d" follower by an integer. I have linked that thread below. This really does make the new feature of naming parameters on the fly very useful. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-api-and-scripts/script-to-autofavorite-named-model-paramet...

Message 12 of 13

it would be such an easy fix, theres no reason for autodesk to have made the functionality to create named model parameters on the fly but not also creat/label them AS user parameters on the fly...

model parameter on the fly is

create dim> when typing dim, "475.667=dimName" and its a named model parameter

im not exactly a master programmer/hacker/behavioral psychologist but it absolutely escapes me how in the brainstorming session that gave us on-the-fly-model-parameter-naming, that on-the-fly-named-user-parameter-creation/promotion either didnt come up or came up but was determined to be either too difficult or functionally impossible to implement.

autocad, are you listening?

"use("475.667=dimName")"

or

"475.667="dimName" * use"

or

"475.667="dimName" next to a drop down or checkbox or radio buttons that prompt user to select if they want the dimension and dimension name they are entering to remain a model parameter or become a user parameter.

being able to create a named model parameter on the fly and use it "as a favorite" is a workaround...

let's say my customer is NASA and they need a containment rack for a satellite to be deployed. that containment rack will be loaded into the cargo bay of the tesla shuttle or whatever. the build envelope constraint for this project is exactly 475.667 bananas long, if we're one single micron over that, the whole project is boofed and my government contract money dries up and i have to sell one of my kids (Fancy)... or worse, MY BOAT to make ends meet.

believe me, i ABSOLUTELY KNOW what a pathetically petty gripe i am making right now but i need fusion 360 to cower in it's boots believing that God herself dictated and carved into stone that this build envelope not exceed 475.667 bananas in length But, when the parameters menu ascended the mountain, he forgot to bring stone tablets upon which to carve this heavenly edict (i didn't open up the parameter menu and set it up first) so instead of trekking all the way back down the mountain to get a stone tablet and break my back carrying it back up,  (exiting sketch, opening parameters menu, typing in not one but two separate dialogue boxes the number and name "475.667" and "bezosWillieShapedRocketPocketCramibilityMaximumMaterialCondition" it would be nice if God herself (the deity that so benevolently bestows upon us her blessings in the form of 3D modeling software) could merely just drop a stone tablet out of the sky for me to use (in the form of some functionality to elevate mere mortal model parameters to that of a commandment from our lord and savior herself such that all further rules and regulations placed upon our build envelope of Eden may use that on-the-fly-created-user-parameter as the rock upon which to build its church.

it shouldnt be that difficult

Message 13 of 13

but will it elevate them to user parameters?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report