Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating and editing forms to look like hills

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
vconnors95486
462 Views, 7 Replies

Creating and editing forms to look like hills

Hello, I've been using fusion for a couple months now, but am still having trouble rendering forms that look like hills in Fusion and then being able to make further adjustments. I'm able to create a general shape with a plane or quadball that is then edited. My problem when using the plane is that although I have control over the shape generally, the edges are primarily straight. I've been sculpting the forms as planes, then creating an offset plane to bring up to into the plane, thus creating a curved edge. I've then been using split body, to get the final shape. Is there a way to further edit the shape once it's been split, without having to edit the original plane? Is there a way to convert the split body to a new T-spline? Or perhaps have better adjustments if I convert to a mesh? I've worked on these forms as lofts as well, but that seems super labor intensive.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CGBenner
in reply to: vconnors95486

@vconnors95486 

Welcome to the forum.  Would you be able to share some images of what you are trying to get as a finished product?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 8

As @CGBenner has already mentioned, please share images of the desired final outcome.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8

Hello, 

Thanks for the response.  I am trying to make shapes similar to the previous screenshots, but I'd like to make adjustments to the angle of ascent without changing the top down profile.  For example if I have a hill that has a profile of a "peanut" but some of the incline slopes are convex curves, I'd like to edit those slopes to be concave, without changing the "peanut" profile.   Some more images attached.  In the second image, I converted the tan forms into T-splines and was then able to edit the curves, while freezing the profile vertices.  These were created by a freelancer, that I never heard from again, and haven't been able to get in contact.  I'm trying to make the same from scratch, and be able to adjust in the same way, but when I make the shapes starting with a plane, I start with a square, then pull up the topography and slice the body.  I'm not sure how to either start with the top down profile and then adjust the form, or how to create from a plane, pull up and slice to get an organic shaped profile and then be able to make further adjustments to the slope angle.  Perhaps I need to convert the shapes to something else and then go back to T-Spline?

Message 5 of 8

Additional image attached.  I'd like to make this type of shape into a 3d body with a surface that I can then manipulate using the control points.  Just not sure if that's possible.  Or if that's the best way to start.

Message 6 of 8

Update:  I think I'm getting closer.  I'm creating the profile edge and the top point as a loft, then converting to a T-spline in the forms workspace.  That's allowing me to keep the profile shape and make adjustments.  Still not sure if this is the best way.

Message 7 of 8

@vconnors95486 wrote:

Update:  I think I'm getting closer.  

I don't think so 😉

It's not that this couldn't be done with lofts, but these simple peanut and kidney shapes are much easier to create with T-Splines, if you understand the "right" topology.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8

This is great!  Thank you so much.  Definitely makes a smoother topology and a more efficient form.  I'll work on this method.  Thank you again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report