Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create form from body?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
-Nick-
17076 Views, 7 Replies

Create form from body?

Hi,

I have a body which defines accurately the shape of a part I am designing except that I would like one of the faces to be slightly rounded.  Not having played with Forms, I had assumed that I could transform my body into a form and pull the face out, but I'm struggling to find a way.

Alternatively, I could re-create the form from the sketches but this produces a very different looking form.

Here is the part.

Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
laughingcreek
in reply to: -Nick-

When you say "form". I'm assuming your talking about t-splines.

Converting a solid body to a tspline is probably not the way to go on something like this. 

you could model a tspline surface, separate from the body, and perform a "replace face" operation on it.

The way I would approach it would be to use loft.  I think you'd get the best results that way.  can you indicate the face, and what the curvature would look like?

Message 3 of 8
-Nick-
in reply to: laughingcreek

Yes, I'm talking about t-splines, (using "Form" because it says "Create Form" in the GUI). 

I tried also to loft the surface and failed miserably...  The face I am talking about is defined by the inner profile in Sketch 1 and I don't really care how much it is rounded - just trying to understand the workflow - but as a guide have a look at the curve in sketch 4.

Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 8
laughingcreek

The terminology is one of those idiosyncrasy I which fusion would address. is it a "form", a "t-spline", a "sculpted body"? 

but enough about fusion

Here's a screen cast of one approach using loft in the patch workspace. 

Message 5 of 8

hmm, screen cast doesn't seem to have attached.  trying again.

Message 6 of 8
-Nick-

I also tried to loft the surface from the sketch using the straight and curved lines as profiles and the same rails as you but got the error, "Rail(s) cannot be tangent to profiles!".  How does splitting the face, (which splits the curve profile), avoid that?  No matter...

What I really want to do is to get that face into "t-spline, form, sculpt" mode, (TFS as I am now calling it), so that I can play around with it a bit more easily.  That where I am really struggling.

Message 7 of 8
laughingcreek

When you do a straight converstion of that face, your going to get the untrimmed nurbs surface version of it in tsplines (first part of screen cast).

I think to get a good result you'll need to make your tspline topology by hand. (rest of screen cast.)  Then use a "replace face" on it.  It can be tricky to keep the original edge of the object sharp and planer this way.  if that doesn't mater, then just use the untrimmed converted surface.

Message 8 of 8
-Nick-

Many thanks for taking the time to put that together, it helps enormously.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report