Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a scale around a cylinder

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
TopHound
462 Views, 6 Replies

Create a scale around a cylinder

I'm trying to create a scale around a cylinder, e.g. as used on the hand-wheel of a lathe.

This is my starting point https://a360.co/2BPKOQd

I can create a sketch for a single line and extruding to cut the cylinder then create a series of engraved lines using a circular pattern. I can even do this with patterns in arcs - the second scale is the metric equivalent of the first.

My problem comes when I want to engrave text around the cylinder to line up with the check lines, e.g. the numbers 0 through 9 aligned to each of the major check lines in turn. I've looked at various proposed solutions online but can't see anything that would scale in the same way as the creation of the engraved lines.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
etfrench
in reply to: TopHound

Sheet Metal workspace will allow you to place text at each line.  Use dimensions to locate the start point for the text (It's always the lower left corner).

DailText.jpg

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

But beware of the deformation, right?

Message 4 of 7

@lichtzeichenanlage wrote:

I don't see how it would matter if you're just going to engrave it.

Message 5 of 7

Isn't the sheet metal process stretching things if it is bent?

@chrisplyler wrote:

@lichtzeichenanlage wrote:

I don't see how it would matter if you're just going to engrave it.

Message 6 of 7

Well, yes. The text (numbers) on the outer radius surface would become very slightly deformed in width. But their relative, uniform positions won't change compared to how you lined them up on the unfolded sheet, which presumably he would lay out with even spacing that's 1/10 (assuming numbers 0 through 9) the unfolded width of the sheet. And then you would engrave them. And then the most critical observer would never, ever notice the difference.

Message 7 of 7

That's true. Sry for being such a bean counter... or German 😉

@chrisplyler wrote:

... And then the most critical observer would never, ever notice the difference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report