Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costrain (sp) line to a curve

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
m.digristina
653 Views, 11 Replies

Costrain (sp) line to a curve

Hi, I need to costrain that line to the 2 curves so that when I move it along the curves the endpoints remain touching the curves.
How can I do that?

mdigristina_0-1638878141501.png

Labels (5)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
davebYYPCU
in reply to: m.digristina

Create a sketch plane, position can be edited.

create a sketch on that plane

Project > Intersect the 2 Rails you want to attach to.  Keep projected link, you get purple dots.

Connect curve to the purple dots (snap or coincident)

To slide the curve, edit the plane position.

Might help...

Message 3 of 12
m.digristina

tricky, but a solution

Hope the Autodesk team will give us a solution

Message 4 of 12
jeff_strater

If I understand your question, this should work exactly as you expect it.  I think that is what you are asking about. However, it does not work in your design, so I need to turn that over to the sketch team to figure out why that is.  I've recorded a screencast, but it is not processing correctly.  I may have to record it again.  Will post here when I have something...

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 12
jeff_strater
in reply to: jeff_strater

Screencast is not cooperating today, so here is an MP4 that shows that the basics do work.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 6 of 12
jeff_strater

and, here is the screencast:

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 12

@jeff_strater wrote:

If I understand your question, this should work exactly as you expect it.  

Agreed, it probably "should" work, but it is still not a good idea to design this in a single 3D sketch.

When I see a user doing it here on the forum, it is almost exclusively done by users who have no experience in a modern parametric CAD system.

In any parametric CAD system I know, 3D sketches are reserved for specific purposes, e.g. piping, wiring, cables, etc., or perhaps to feed a frame generator.

It is definitely a better practice to create only those curves as 3D curves that really need to curve through space and not be constrained to a plane. All other curves should be designed in their own sketches, constrained flat to a construction plane. If Fusion 360 had a tool to planarize a spline similar to Autodesk Alias my recommendation might be differnt, but it doesn't.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
davebYYPCU

Tricky?

Certainly is with 3d sketch.

Message 9 of 12

I wanted to use one single sketch because it was simpler to modify all the points at once, and had to use a 3D sketch because I didn't want to create 20 sections for the hull of the boat

Message 10 of 12

@m.digristina wrote:

I wanted to use one single sketch because it was simpler to modify all the points at once, and had to use a 3D sketch because I didn't want to create 20 sections for the hull of the boat

Understood. I stand by what I said!

Why would you need 20 sections ?

EESignature

Message 11 of 12

Because the hull changes many times, maybe 20 is too much, but 7 or 8 are needed
Can I move a point from one of the curves and have the change reflected to the point that is in the other sketch?

Message 12 of 12
m.digristina

Am I doing something wrong?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report