Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy and paste between sketches

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
714 Views, 5 Replies

Copy and paste between sketches

Hi everyone, 

I'm trying to make a series of profile sketches on paralell planes to loft between. 

I have sketched the profile on the first plane, offset a plane and started another sketch. 

When I copy the profile from sketch1 on plane1 and paste it on sketch2 on plane2, I would like to scale it.

The problem is that BOTH profiles scale... I don't see any option to "break link" when you copy and paste.

Any ideas would be super helpful!  Thank you, -Kyle

(my only work-around yet is to extrude the first profile, project the face, break the link and then scale it independently...)

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 5.27.03 PM.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

Pasted sketch geometry should be independent from the original.  There is no link that I am aware of.

Here's a screencast of how to copy/paste geometry to a new sketch and scale it, then loft between them:

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks a bunch for the quick feeback Jeff!  I was able to do your demo and confirm all is working OK the way you described. 

BUT...

Something is funky with the file when I have imported the precise shape I would like to control the loft of, I have attached the specific file.  Any assistance would be much appreciated!  

(I am also unable to cut and paste the profiles from the file to other files freely the way i am able to do with a fresh file).

Thank you very much for your awesome responsiveness to this forum (it has been generally super helpful to read the archives). 

Best,

-Kyle

Message 4 of 6
jeff_strater

A couple of observations about your design:

1.  It is a Direct Modeling design (that is, no parametric design history).  You mention that this is an imported design, which explains why.  All imported designs in Fusion are Direct Modeling.  You can convert by choosing the "Capture Design History" command.  This won't create any design history for geometry already in the design, but it will for newly created features

sketch scale 1.png

second, the sketch called "needs scaling" can, indeed be scaled, but you will have some problems with it.  The point indicated is constrained at the origin, and the curve is "fixed":

sketch scale 2.png

If you "unfix" this point, it can be moved.  However, because that curve is imported, it is not a native Fusion curve, so you will have trouble editing it.  I would re-draw this curve - it will make everything much easier, I believe.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

OK, Jeff, you guys have awesome support.  Last question on this thread... I was able to find a post about data points from a script to create a spline and it worked well... 

Now I can't scale that either.  Is there a more appropriate way to import a bunch of data points for profiles?  I "unfixed" the data points, but that didnt seem to help. 

Again, apprecaite your help!  Please see attached file. 

Best, -Kyle

Message 6 of 6
jeff_strater

Sorry for the slow response today...

I think I know what's going on, but I'm not completely sure I am solving the correct problem for you.  I'm glad that you found that script to create a spline from point data - while I haven't used it myself, others have found a lot of value in it.

I think you have correctly identified the problem - the curve and points come in "fixed" from this script.  I was able to "unfix" them, and it worked OK.  Part of the problem may be that you have overlapping sketches, but I'm not sure

Anyway, take a look at this screencast and see if it helps:

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report