Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraint hierarchy issue for parametrically drawn sketch

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
pcm
Explorer
191 Views, 2 Replies

Constraint hierarchy issue for parametrically drawn sketch

Hello,

I am making a parametrically driven sketch. The height is set arbitrarily and all most other measurements are derived from it. I am running into an issue when I want to set the distance from a parametrically controlled curve to a point on a rectangle whose width will depend on the shape of the curve.

Process: I defined my parameters for height, width, crosspoint, topCurve, bottomCurve, and sideCurve. I made a cross of two lines and created an arc using the four points of the cross.  I dimensioned each element with its parameter. When I change the height dimension, everything works as expected.  I then add a detail (rectangle) to the shape. and constrain its width, vertical position and corner coincident with the arc.  I change the height parameter and again everything works as expected.  Finally I put a point coincident to the arc and horizontal to the lower bound of the rectangle and dimension the rectangle's lower left corner to the point on the curve, and of course it breaks the drawing (drawing the sketch fails).

I understand this is happening because the point is fully constrained so you can't change the parameters?  Is this expected behavior?  I'm coming from onShape where the same situation would override the points constraints with the new location determined by the variables.  If this is expected behavior, what would be the best way to set the distance of multiple rectangle features from a curve whose shape is being set parametrically?

Thanks.  Pics below.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
davebYYPCU
in reply to: pcm

Ditch the point on the curve, and replace it with a horizontal construction line that is 6mm long.

Might help.....

Message 3 of 3
pcm
Explorer
in reply to: davebYYPCU

That fixed it!  Thank you! Now I just need to remember that difference when going back and forth.

Patrick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report