Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 - Combine two complex bodies. Creating gradual step down filleted sections.

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
hamzanabi123456
1321 Views, 37 Replies

Fusion 360 - Combine two complex bodies. Creating gradual step down filleted sections.

Hi,

I have two problems with my design. 

Firstly, i'm trying to combine a body with a side section. However, it doesn't let me combine them together.

Secondly, can someone guide me on how to create gradual step down fillets from the existing edges of a body. The effect i'm trying to achieve is gradual filleted sections offset from the edges of the body (see pic 2).

I've attached pics to show this and also attached the fusion design file. Help would be greatly appreciated.

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name, and for clarity. by @CGBenner ]

37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38

I've also attached the other component below.

Message 3 of 38

Hi @hamzanabi123456 

I believe that you are not able to combine the bodies due to the fact that they are not "overlapping". I tried moving the smaller component towards the bigger component for 0.1 mm, then the "Combine" feature worked just fine.

Please click on Accept Solution so other community members can see how to solve the issue.
Also, consider giving a Like to the comments that you feel helped you.

Best regards,
Level  sutherland-

Message 4 of 38

Thanks. Yes, i tried this and it works but does that mean that to combine bodies they have to be overlapping?. I wasn't aware of this i thought as long as the bodies were adjacent to each other the combine feature would work?. Seems abit strange for bodies to be required to overlap.

Also, is there a better way of creating something like this where gradual step down sections can be created at the edges of a body?

Message 5 of 38

@hamzanabi123456 

No it is not a requirement that bodies need to overlap, but seems like in your case it works out that way.

avish_0-1666258851184.png

Please click on Accept Solution so other community members can see how to solve the issue.

Best regards,
Level  sutherland-

Message 6 of 38

You could also try to follow those steps to overcome this error.

Best regards,
Level  sutherland-

Message 7 of 38

@hamzanabi123456 wrote:

Also, is there a better way of creating something like this where gradual step down sections can be created at the edges of a body?

Do you mean something like this?

avish_0-1666259374833.png

Best regards,
Level  sutherland-

Message 8 of 38
Bunga777
in reply to: hamzanabi123456

I went so far as to composite and fillet from the file you attached.

First, offset one part so that the parts overlap completely.

bunga_0-1666262093715.png

Combine the two parts.

bunga_1-1666262121748.png

Fillets are attached.

bunga_2-1666262208502.png

However, in the fillet at the end, the configuration of the surface is not clean, so it may be an area that needs a lot of work.

Message 9 of 38

Please share the complete design with the timeline enabled!

EESignature

Message 10 of 38

Thanks for all the replies. @sutherland- Yes something like that but closely reflecting what i've originally done e.g. at the edge of the body.

Can anyone recreate what i've done (that small body next to the main body swooping down the edge) but with a more elegant solution, i'm sure there is one. My way of doing it seems iffy. I would greatly appreciate it. 

@Bunga777 Thanks. I will check your method out. 

Message 11 of 38

@hamzanabi123456 wrote:

My way of doing it seems iffy.

@hamzanabi123456 

Do you have Capture Design History enabled?

Are all of your sketches fully defined?

Are you willing to start over from scratch?

Message 12 of 38

@TheCADWhisperer  Yes, design history is enabled. My sketches are reasonably well defined, the thing is because i'm working with alot of curves and splines, i can't fully define the sketch but this hasn't been an issue.

It's mainly trying to figure out how to incorporate complex feature designs into the model. 

I want to share my design with timeline as that would be ideal but i kind of want to keep it private as its an internal design. Is there a way of sharing design on fusion with just a select few members on the forum?

Message 13 of 38
Bunga777
in reply to: hamzanabi123456

You can send private messages privately, and it is a good idea to share data only with trusted users to solve problems.

bunga_0-1666296420428.png

Message 14 of 38
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Bunga777

It’s way more complicated than that.

Private messages do not accept files, just pictures.

You password protect the shared file and post in the forum the file,

and 

you create the private Message, and share the password to your audience.

PITA for some.

Might help....

Message 15 of 38

@davebYYPCUThanks. for the method. I've shared a link along with a message to some of you guys.

However, i can't send more links because there's a limit on how many private messages i can send so i will send the link to the others which i've missed by tomorrow. 

Also, if someone has turned their private messages off, naturally i can't send the link this way.

Can you guys check your messages and reply if you can help further. Thanks as always.

Message 16 of 38

I am looking at your design and I would start this again from scratch!

Lets start right with the first sketch.

1. Your sketch is not fully defined. If you need to use splines, use control point splines with the least number of control points. That is then much easier to dimension and constrain. 
  2. I would not use conic curves. If you want a smooth curvature transition, then use control point splines.
  3. Do you even need to use splines? What is the reason you are using splines vs. arcs? (Just to be clear, there are good reasons to do so, but if you don't know those reasons, there is no reason for you to use them!!!)
  4. Do not mirror an entre sketch! Sketch half, create geometry and then mirror the geometry!

Whoever designed that reference housing also wasn't exactly a modeling wizard 😉

5. You use to many spline control points as can be seen by he wavy curvature comb. Start with a 3-degree control point spline with 4 control points. If that does not give you the shape you're looking for, use 5 degree control point spline with 6 CVs.

TrippyLighting_0-1666370346808.png

EESignature

Message 17 of 38

Also - I should have asked this at the beginning - how is this going to be made? 3D printing ?

EESignature

Message 18 of 38

@TrippyLighting Thank you for the feedback. Yes, this is my first model which i'm creating in fusion so i'm definetly learning. I've already learnt quite alot from the really helpful people such as yourself on the forums here.

The idea is to create an enclosure like this and then have it manufactured (injection moulded) as a series production. However, that is the long term goal, for now i think the first prototype will be 3D printed i guess. 

I really appreciate your feedback. I would be grateful if you could correct some of the things on the sketch based on the things you outlined in your post, maybe trying to fully define my first sketch as i can't seem to define the spline points (if you have some free time, the more fixes the better 😁) and send the updated file back privately. You are correct about the splines because i couldn't define the spline geometries on the sketch. 

Also, what disadvantage am i likely to have or difficulties will i face if i use an undefined sketch in the design?. I know the main reason defining a sketch is so that it allows easy changes to the geometry of the design as everything is referenced.

However, is there another reason why fully defining a sketch is essential e.g does this cause problems later on during design modelling?. 

Message 19 of 38

@hamzanabi123456 wrote:

The idea is to create an enclosure like this and then have it manufactured (injection moulded) as a series production. However, that is the long term goal, for now i think the first prototype will be 3D printed i guess. 

If it will be injection molded, everything needs at least 1 degree or more of draft, so it can be pulled/released from the mold halves. You should consider draft and split line for the mold halves right from the start.

EESignature

Message 20 of 38

@TrippyLighting I udnerstand what you mean about the degree of tolerances in the design required for injection moulding.

Ideally, if it's not too much to ask, can you make a few edits to my design which will be saved in the timeline and pm me back, after which i can analyse and work from those edits, it would be even better if you could provide a summary of the reasons for the changes you implemented into the design.

Many thanks as usual for the continued support, much appreciated 🙂.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report