Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comprehensive introductory documentation (3D vs 2D)?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
JetForMe
889 Views, 9 Replies

Comprehensive introductory documentation (3D vs 2D)?

I've just started working with Fusion360. I've gone through a number of the Getting Started videos and tutorial articles, but there seems to be missing a good, comprehensive introduction to Fusion360; it's all disparate examples of various aspects. I'm not new to CAD in general, but this is the most powerful CAD program I've been able to spend any real time with.

One thing that is not obvious how to accomplish is constraints against 3D geometry. It's clear that Fusion360 is a capable constraints-based 2D CAD system, but I started by building some 3D geometry (a cylinder with a hemisphere subtracted from it), and I wanted to add some holes to the top surface, constrained to be offset from the hemisphere geometry. There seems to be no way to do that, let alone constrain multiple 3D objects to each other.

A comprehensive introduction (that I imagine) would discuss these kinds of differences in the geometry creation.

Maybe I just overlooked something? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, PCNC1100 Series 3, Slant-PRO 15L Lathe, Custom AvidCNC-based 4x9' CNC Router w/24k 4.5 kW HSD Spindle & Teknic SDSK Servos
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TrippyLighting
in reply to: JetForMe

I'd suggest SolidProfessor.com. The training videos are short, well structured and packed with information.

In general what you call 3D constraints are in the "Assemble" menu. That will allow you, as the name suggests, to assemble different components (not just bodies).

Also I'd suggest you work through the written online documentation that can be accessed her on the Forum through the "Learning" menu under Form, Function an Fabrication.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
JetForMe
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Those videos are really great. I'd love to see more.

What I was really hoping for was written documentation, but I've accepted your answer as the solution anyway.

MacBook Pro, PCNC1100 Series 3, Slant-PRO 15L Lathe, Custom AvidCNC-based 4x9' CNC Router w/24k 4.5 kW HSD Spindle & Teknic SDSK Servos
Message 4 of 10
TrippyLighting

You can find the written documentation under "Leraning-> Form/Function/Fabrication".

EESignature

Message 5 of 10

I really really really hate how video focussed F360 is (And most people for that matter). It is way to hard to find a written how to when you are looking for something in F360.
9 times out of 10 I would prefer it over videos. Usually I just want to see where the option is hidden or the steps. Something I can figure out in 20 seconds in a proper manual but you have to watch 3 20 min videos to find the answer you were looking for.
When searching Google the text learning pages never come up anywhere and they are a pain to search and navigate.

I really wish there was a nice easy to search manual like this.
http://www.sysf.physto.se/~henrik/Solid%20Edge/Solid%20Edge%20main%20tutorial.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1229995573786339/
Message 6 of 10
JetForMe
in reply to: yoshimitsuspeed

Yeah, searchability, finding that one thing you just can't figure out…that's why I much prefer written documentation.

Message 7 of 10
StephenWolf

It helps to hear you all talking about text versions of articles over videos. Some people prefer learning how to use a feature by reading—because it's easier to scan and you don't have to scrub back and forth in the video—and some prefer the video because it shows the picks and clicks in action. 

For this set of videos on sketching, the SolidProfessor team writes text scripts before they record the video and voiceovers. That means we could post the text version along with the video. What would you think about that? The video would sit at the top of the page, and you could scroll down to read the transcript—with screenshots included to illustrate the context and key actions.

Let us know what you think, and we can test it out and share some sample approaches.

Thanks again for the discussion on this—and kudos to @TrippyLighting for pointing out the SolidProfessor videos. We've also posted them in a set of Sketching Lessons in our learning site. We'll release a set of lessons on assemblies in the next couple of weeks. I'll post a blog about it when we push it live.

Stephen

Message 8 of 10

I see you are an employee but it sounds like solidprofessor is a seperate thing which is kind of confusing. It also looks like you have to pay for most of the content on the site.
I would be interested to see what you did especially anything free but I really think that Autodesk should have a complete manual for their software that is easily accessible, easy to use, easy to search.
As far as I'm concerned I think the Solid Edge manual above is pretty close to perfect.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1229995573786339/
Message 9 of 10
JetForMe
in reply to: StephenWolf

Videos can be useful for extremely complex interactions, but a bulleted list, particularly with screenshots, are by far the best.

Message 10 of 10

You can find the introductory videos that are available at Solid Professor also in the Fusion 360 Lerning section oddly enough in the Transitioning from SolidWorks section.

these are the same videos and they are also free on Solid Professor.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report