Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compound revolute joints

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mamodom
275 Views, 5 Replies

Compound revolute joints

Sorry if this was already asked, but I don't seem to have the correct terminology to get any meaningful search results.

I'm trying to create a joint that I can probably describe as a partial planetary gear, where we only have the sun gear and one planet gear. The planet gear travel around the sun gear is constrained, when the planet gear reaches one of its boundaries it is able to keep spinning in place. If the planet gear's rotation is reversed, the sun gear won't rotate until the planet gear reaches its other boundary.

mamodom_0-1716676620903.png

I feel like the solution is having an intermediate component with no bodies that has joints with both gears, but I haven't figured it out.

Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: mamodom

I think you can do that, with a manual drive joint

sun gear, with Motion link to planet gear, 

and Capture positions for red pin.

Making an animation for that I don’t have that experience.

Might help….

Message 3 of 6
steven_zhuQDRBU

Maybe you could have some sort of bar between the sun and the planet gear, but im not sure how you could make the bar stop moving with the sun gear when it reaches the boundary

Message 4 of 6
jscott6SWZG

Need to drive the arc of the planet gear.

Ground the axle.

Then derive formula for rpm of planet gear in terms of sun gear rpm and arc of the planet gear.   For motion link.

haven’t done it yet.

Message 5 of 6
SaeedHamza

could you attach the file? Go to file > export> .f3d and attach it to your next post

Message 6 of 6
jhackney1972

My method was to use a hidden component which has Joint Limits on it to match the slot angle.  You should always attach your model for a question like this so we could use your dimensions and specifications.  I am just guessing at yours.  Model attached.

Gear Motion.gif

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report