Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component assemblies are not visible.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jesper8W75R
348 Views, 7 Replies

Component assemblies are not visible.

I have a component design with a lot of screws. The screws are themself components, inserted and copied in the larger component. 
To "clean up" the browser, I tried to use "Assemble->New Component" to "group" these.
That worked fine in my large component.
Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 13.04.29.png

Screws are in the four component assemblies at the bottom, "Profile Rear Screws", "Rail Screws", "Motor Screws" and "Bridge Connection Screws".
This all work fine, and everything is visible as expected.

I save this complete component, which is then inserted into another larger component, together with another component.
Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 13.05.30.png

Now, the screws are no longer visible. Well, almost. And that's the really strange thing.
ONE of the screws (the first one), of the "Profile Rear Screws" are visible (upper left countersunk screw).
Also, ONE of the "Rail Screws" are visible. Again the first one.
But NONE of the "Motor Screws", nor the "Bridge Connection Screws" are visible.

How can that be?

What's wrong here?

I have, of course, tried all possible "Show all components", "Show all bodies" e.t.c
And everything is shown as visible in the browser.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dsouzasujay
in reply to: jesper8W75R

Can you please share the dataset through public link, If the dataset is confidential, you can send me through Private message/email (Sujay<dot>dsouza<at>autodesk<dot>com).

That'll help us investigate the issue.

If you find my answer solved your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button

Sujay D'souza
SQA Manager
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 8
jesper8W75R
in reply to: dsouzasujay

Thank you for your reply, @dsouzasujay 

But, well, I found the screws.......

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 15.06.52.png

Why they are all over there is a mystery.
Especially why only some of them are there and some in the original position.

Why do they show up there when the component is used together with another one, but shown at the right place when viewing the original component?

This is not the first time I have had things flip-flopping around a bit.

Message 4 of 8
dsouzasujay

Hi @jesper8W75R,

Before inserting make sure to add joints and Capture Positions.

If you find my answer solved your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button

Sujay D'souza
SQA Manager
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 8
jesper8W75R
in reply to: dsouzasujay

@dsouzasujay 
I have no idea how I would trigger "Capture Position" just out of nowhere.
It pops up sometimes, but I have to admit I have no idea why.
Also, I am NOT going to create joints to 50+ screws.

I marked everything, made a rigid group, and that solved it.

Message 6 of 8
Phil.E

If you move a component in a parametric design, it creates an event in the timeline called a "position". So, if you see Capture/Revert position in the tool bar, it's because you've moved a component and it should either be captured or reverted. You will be prompted to capture/revert if you take an action that causes a parametric compute.

Inserted designs with pending capture events do not show those events (this is what happened to you) because they are not yet committed to the parametric timeline history (which is what you are inserting). 

If you have half an hour, please check out this class about assemblies from the recent Autodesk University.

https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-university/class/Joints-Fusion-360-Guide-Assembly-Position-and-Mot...

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8
jesper8W75R
in reply to: Phil.E

Thank you for the explanation, @Phil.E 
I understand how it works now. I have just never noticed the Capture/Revert option popping into the toolbar after a move, only had it come up as a dialog at some points.
What is a little confusing is that the move doesn't show in the history (which is understandable, it would fill up in no time), and the Capture/Revert option is a bit like "Do you really want to move this part?". But with the option to ignore it (which will come and slap you later, as I found out).
When I had finished moving and copying all my screws, and saved the project, I did not have an option for Capture/Revert.
So, how would I "Capture" the design before saving?
My solution was to use Rigid group, which is of course not the same thing, but which I actually had to do anyway.

I will check out the class link, it will probably answer my questions (and create a lot more 😉 

Message 8 of 8
Phil.E

Thanks. I think if you check out the video it should answer the questions. We showed an example just like this. There is also a pdf handout with more than what fit in the video presentation. 

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report