Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleanup after Joining

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
FlyinBrian
333 Views, 7 Replies

Cleanup after Joining

Hello,

New F360 user here with a question regarding cleanup after joining-- 

I've noticed part of a joined body remaining inside another body after joining and would like to remove this. See attached pic of the rectangle where it enters the round tubing. The removal of the body protruding into the internal tubing is desired.

Any thoughts how to accomplish this? 

Please forgive my ignorance as i'm very new, trying to learn F360 and the associated language. I'm also probably not describing my issue correctly here...

pipe.png

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
laughingcreek
in reply to: FlyinBrian

"spit body" using the desired face as a tool?

p.s. usually a good idea to attach a model demonstrating the issue/question.  you get better answers that way. 

Message 3 of 8
jhackney1972

I created a sample model and a Screencast to illustrate a few scenarios of what you may have.  As @laughingcreek has already done, please attach your model and you will be sure to get a correct answer.   If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section of a forum post to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 8
FlyinBrian
in reply to: jhackney1972

Appreciate the response. Hopefully have the model attached here now. If viewing inside the tube, the body that was joined can be seen protruding into the inside of the tube. Attempts to select and delete, result in error messages..... i'm looking to learn how to clean this up?

Message 5 of 8
wmhazzard

Control select the inside faces and hit delete. 

Screenshot 2022-01-09 145634.jpg 

Message 6 of 8
FlyinBrian

Thank you guys! When previously trying to delete I was selecting only 1 face at a time and couldn't figure out what was happening. Once I selected 'z' plane face and an 'x' or 'y' plane face together, it worked great! The section analysis tool really helped with this.

Message 7 of 8
laughingcreek

The ability to delete faces and have the model "heal" itself is a direct modeling ability that made it's way into fusions parametric side.  It's a fantastic tool for dealing with modeling issues that might be difficult to do other wise.

but

it's not very robust.  modeling changes can easily cause a different number of faces to appear (more or fewer), causing the delete features to fail.  That's fine if they were used to fix a small number of problem spots, a pita if you are in a habit of using them throughout a larger project.  It's a good idea to seek out a process that is less likely to fail due to parameter changes.  Attached is an example, I'm sure there are many more. (also doesn't require hunting around for all the faces inside a pipe)-

Message 8 of 8

just to drive home that point, here's a quick screen cast of changing the thickness and diameter of the pipe using the model @wmhazzard posted vs the one I posted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report