Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning up large text model

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
w0nrp
211 Views, 5 Replies

Cleaning up large text model

I am trying to create some large (200 mm tall) mountable letters based on a particular font. 1 letter per component.
When I create the text letter and set the height to 200 mm, the outline is fuzzy and pixellated.

If I extrude the letter, the profile is ragged.  Is there any way to get a cleaner result?
The images here are the desired outline (black), the Text (blue) and the extruded result (gray).

C.png

F360 C.png

F360 C ext.png

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jhackney1972
in reply to: w0nrp

The video will explain the process.  Be sure to open the attached model to see the final difference between the extruded text on the right and the modified text on the left.

If this answers your question, please select the  "Accept Solution" on my post.  If further help is needed please ask.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
w0nrp
in reply to: jhackney1972

Hi, John.  That does make a much cleaner model.  Thank you for your effort.
However, if I make the perimeter box 200 mm high, and specify the text as 200 mm high, the result of the process is 206mm high and extends below the X axis.  At that point I can no longer resize it nor move it up to align with the axis.  I can enter a smaller value in the text height control, but I have to guess at the location of the bottom edge.
I need to make some features that require fairly precise locations on the model, so this is a consideration.

Do you have any further suggestions to accommodate this?

Message 4 of 6
jhackney1972

I gave you the solution to your original posted question, then you come back with a lot of additional requests.  How come you did not ask them in the original post?  Anyway, the attached video will show you my method and the attached model is the one I used in the video.  I noted in the video, my Joint Origin was to align to the Origin on the X-Y Plane, if you need different, simply modify the Joint Origin orientation as pointed out in the video.  Please mark the "Accept Solution" icon on my post if it solved your additional questions.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
etfrench

If you need a precise 200mm height for all of the letters, you'll need to determine the scale size for each type.  For example: C may be larger than W. Serifs may make Q and some lowercase letters taller.

In this image, the text on the right was created at 200mm high.  The 'C' on the left was created with a height of 193.4036774742253 ( Height of 'A' divided by height of 'C' times height of 'A').

etfrench_0-1727648899096.png

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
w0nrp
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you John.  I see a number of techniques that could prove useful.  I will need to watch that several more times to digest them all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report